CR-V 2000-2300 RPM buzzing Exhaust rattle

I seen this in a CR-V Forum concerning the above subject.

Noisy buzzing sound from under car The tinny buzzing noise I was hearing at 2200 to 2500 rpm is fixed. Believe it or not, the problem wasn't a loose heat shield, or a vibrating loose bit of metal on the muffler, but the timing belt! It turns out, the timing belt was set too tight at the factory. The service department simply set the timing belt to factory specs and the noise went away. I must commend the mechanic that tracked this down, because it really did sound like a loose piece of metal.

Seems to me that if this were the problem I am experiencing it would of shown up from the git go when the car was new!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

----------------------------------

It sounds like you left that timing belt in there? If it's an '01 (I searched your other posts) and it was so over-tightened that it took 5 years to loosen up enough to start 'singing', that belt must be in a fragile condition. Timing belts don't stretch, since they get their strength from fiberglass strands woven into the thing, and just like fiberglass shipping tape, it's terribly hard to snap it, but it will break.

It's also a five year old belt, and what is the service interval (TIME, not mileage) for yours supposed to be?

I overtightened one once and it sang right away, during the first few minutes after start-up it would sing like a harmonica when I revved it up and let off the gas. Research led me to the conclusion that I'd better loosen it since it was not going to loosen up by itself, without the belt suffering damage.

Also, with the belt that tight, I'd be surprised if you haven't had valve adjustment troubles because the front camshaft bearings should have been under a terrific load, which would screw up your valve clearances (even more than other Gen I CR-V's) as they wear in.

People have gotten help from HONDA on other claims when it's 'FROM THE FACTORY'. Maybe you should be phoning? I'd ask them for a whole new engine.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Tom, I agree that the mechanic done a great job in regard to figuring out the source of the problem. I would have guessed that the source of the problem was the exhaust system. Jason

Reply to
Jason