CR-V Fires?

In the past, 60 CR-Vs caught fire, (2003-2004 models)due to improper filter changes, and dumb engine configuration by Honda engineers. Has Honda changed their engine configuration in the 2007 models, or is the oil filter
still in the same place?
Nino Nospam wrote:

It is due to filter not being tight causing oil leak. It's no brainer how to prevent the fire.

Honda traditionally sites its 4-cylinder oil filters at the rear of the block. All Honda crossflow heads up to the K-series engine (the one you've got) had their exhaust manifolds on the other side of the block from the filter.
With recent tightening of emissions standards, some automakers (Honda with the K-series, for instance) have seen fit to place the exhaust manifold at the rear of the block, so as keep it from cooling off and thus help keep up the cat's temperature.
Since the K-series is rotated 180 degrees from the old B-series it replaces, I am at a loss as to why Honda did not allow the filter to move with the rotation.

Yep. Same location. But change the oil properly and there's no problem.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
are you aware of fires occurring with the Ridgeline??

Honda traditionally sites its 4-cylinder oil filters at the rear of the block. All Honda crossflow heads up to the K-series engine (the one you've got) had their exhaust manifolds on the other side of the block from the filter.
With recent tightening of emissions standards, some automakers (Honda with the K-series, for instance) have seen fit to place the exhaust manifold at the rear of the block, so as keep it from cooling off and thus help keep up the cat's temperature.
Since the K-series is rotated 180 degrees from the old B-series it replaces, I am at a loss as to why Honda did not allow the filter to move with the rotation.

Yep. Same location. But change the oil properly and there's no problem.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Nothing from Honda. Nothing from the NHTSA.
There are two entries in the '06 NHTSA complaints database (same entry listed twice) for an exhaust fire and one for the radio. But nothing the NHTSA detects any sort of pattern for.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
thanks Tegger.
I had seen on another web site about the Ridgeline catching grass on fire underneath the engine. Just a single post.
I just purchased a 2008 Ridgeline. I don't need a 'truck' vehicle, but I do need something for occasional light hauling, plus will pull my light boat.
The Ridgeline seemed to suit my needs.

Nothing from Honda. Nothing from the NHTSA.
There are two entries in the '06 NHTSA complaints database (same entry listed twice) for an exhaust fire and one for the radio. But nothing the NHTSA detects any sort of pattern for.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
trailer wrote:

Trailer, those anecdotal stories concerning fires beneath vehicles are typically the result of: "moron behind wheel + idling engine + hot catalytic converter + tall, dry grass = Fire"
So long as you're aware of what can happen and make a conscious decision not to let it happen or cause it to happen, you'll do fine.
As they say though, just when they make something idiot proof, along comes a new, improved idiot.<g>