Cracked Windshield

'92 Accord, LX 2 door, 5 speed, 225,000 miles, original owner. Windshield cracked at upper left corner. I was told by glass company that it is because of rust. They said I should have the rust repaired by a body shop before a new glass is installed. Anyone know how long after repair will the rust return? Is the body work something I can do? Thanks! bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Dont know when the rust will come but if you live in FL, the insurance company has to replace the window without any deductable.

I guess its our legislatures way of assuring that people should have no motive not to have there windshields fixed and thereby are safe on the road.

Reply to
kiselink

can you see any rust? windshields crack most commonly because of stone chips.

Reply to
jim beam

There is just a very small rust spot visible. Glass guy said the crack has a distinctive color that indicates it was caused by rust. If it were a stone chip, my insurance would cover it no charge. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

"N.E.Ohio Bob" wrote in news:brV_d.1440$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Windshields crack for three reasons:

1) Deep stone chips 2) Chip in edge of glass prior to, or during, installation that develops into a crack 3) Rust in pinchweld.

If the cause of your crack is rust, that fact will be very obvious once the windshield is cut out if its frame. The location of your crack is a giveaway. Hondas are notorious for rust in the upper corners of the windshield frame, especially if the windshield has already been replaced.

Rust in the pinchweld is a very common windshield failure cause up here in my part of Canada.

Rust is puffy. Since the windshield is bonded in place, the rust's pressure is localized in a small area, which eventually pushes the glass to the point that it cracks.

There is only one cure. It's both simple and time-consuming:

1) Remove windshield 2) Sand all rust off the entire windshield frame and the pinchweld 3) Paint and prime roof, pillars and pinchweld 4) Reinstall windshield.

You're probably looking at roughly $300 for the bodywork (assuming no holes in the metal) and maybe $500 for the windshield. Only a bodyshop can give you real numbers, though.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Thanks for the information. I found a glass company that will instal a windshield for $200.00 cash. I'll think about having the glass removed, and doing the sandblasting and primer and paint myself. (retired with lots of time and little money) bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob
200 cash???? That is insane, there are numerous shops here in Utah that will do it for 125 bux cash. I was going to get the windshield on my 2000 GMC Sierra done and they told me it was 125 cash. I would do some more checking around.

Shane

Reply to
Snowboard3r

I think all the glass shops around here are owned by the same conglomerate, and are in cahoots with the insurance companies. We have the same thing going on with the ice companies. You want ice, you buy from us. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob