Cracking noise when braking

I get a crackling noise similar to a spring being extended when opening a door. (Accord 2000, 4cyl VTECH front-disk, rear-drums)
I get this noise when braking smoothly and it does not seem to affect
braking performance. It drives me nuts and I had the brake system checked and cleaned and it didnt solve the issue. OEM parts were used the last time I changed them, rear and front.
Any ideas what this might be?
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.AutoBoardz.com
interface
sguen wrote:

Could be a cracked spring. Does it happen when turning hard in eitehr direction?
Mitch
Hi,
Actually, the sound appears as I apply a little pressure on the pedal for smooth deceleration at low speeds. The spring-like cracking sound is definately exterior but Im unsure if at fron or rear.
I read somewhere that brake pad shims may need replacing as they may allow movement of the pad.
At 140,000 miles (230 000km), brakes have been services a few time so I may just replace them and see...
Thank you
"Mitch" wrote: > sguen wrote: > > I get a crackling noise similar to a spring being extended > when > > opening a door. (Accord 2000, 4cyl VTECH front-disk, > rear-drums) > > > > I get this noise when braking smoothly and it does not seem > to affect > > braking performance. It drives me nuts and I had the brake > system > > checked and cleaned and it didnt solve the issue. OEM > parts were > > used the last time I changed them, rear and front. > > > > Any ideas what this might be? > > > > Could be a cracked spring. Does it happen when turning hard in > eitehr > direction? > > Mitch

I'm not sure about this car, but some cars (maybe all, I don't know) have an actual spring to help return the brake pedal to its top position. I had on older car where this really did sound like an old screen door. If the sound could possibly be in the interior, it's worth checking out.
-- R Flowers