crank angle sensor

Page 1 of 2
I own a 93 civic lx that just rolled 200k miles. while i was driving on the interstate i felt my car hesitating and having trouble shifting around 30-40 mph. of course the engine light came on and it later
read as a code 4 which is the crank angle sensor. i did all the tests it called for and everything checked out as it was supposed to. any ideas as to what the heck is going on? thanks for all your help..
Ricky
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

check all the connections, re-set the code and see if it happens again. also, it's probably best to check the distributor to see if the shaft bearing is shot. if so, it'll mince the sensor.

ok i will do that later tonight. what exactly will the shaft bearing look like? I have my repair manual with me, is there another name for it or can you tell me what it will be by? what happens if the shaft bearing is shot, do i need a whole new distributor? thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

==================== You're looking for powdery red dust inside the whole cap. It makes a noise too and if it gets bad enough your timing belt can start jumping / removing teeth. Google it or look in tegger.com.
'Curly'
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

if it's shot, you'll be able to waggle the shaft from side to side. it's the thing the rotor arm is fixed to.
yes, the fix is a new distributor. theoretically, you can replace the bearing but it's non-standard, hard to get, and on distributor reassembly, you're supposed to recalibrate the sensor positions relative to the shaft - simply not worth the effort.
ok guys i will check it out. thanks for your help and i will let you know what i find.
ricky
well i started the car today and it was very puttery/jumpy. i popped the hood and i could hear a tiny clicking sound coming from the distributor. is that a tell tale sign that i need a new one? another problem i found, which i have been trying to tackle for months, is an oil leak. thought it was the o ring(so i replaced it), then it looked like the valve cover gasket(so i replaced it) and now it looks to be coming from the rocker arm assembly...any thoughts on this one?
thanks again Ricky
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

that could be sensor, but just as likely just the normal sparking that happens inside.

you need the proper sealant on the corners of the gasket where it goes around the cam bearing.
but again, check the distributor - there's a seal inside and they tend to go after a while.
i encourage you also to look into the brand of oil you're using. some doesn't have good seal conditioner, and seals can leak prolifically - motorcraft "semi-synthetic" being one example. others, castrol for example, pretty much arrest all leaking(*), and not a seal to be changed. check the pcv valve for blockage though.
* google this group for a write-up on my experience with this.
yea i hear what you are saying about the oil, I am using high mileage oil right now(if I could only just keep it from leaking out!) i have a question about that leak...it seems that the pinpoint location of the leak is coming from camshaft holder number 5, which is the part that the distributor bolts to on the top. it leaks from what seems to be where it mates with the head..is there a seal under there i can replace or do i have to replace the entire holder..if so, does this require a new head gasket installation? as far as these and the distributor, i have found a salvage yard just south of tallahassee that is having 50% off all parts this weekend...you bet im gonna be there!!
thanks again Ricky
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

you probably need to seal in the corners of the new cover gasket. use non-setting permatex, /NOT/ silicone. clean any old sealant out first.
after that, it's distributor o-ring or distributor shaft seal. the o-ring should be a fairly snug fit and need lube before it slides in - if you have the right size.
here is a picture(if this thing will let me) to give you a better idea of what i'm seeing. [URL=
http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picaz6.jpg]
http:// img229.imageshack.us/img229/8295/picaz6.th.jpg [/URL]
i know that i need to re-do the silicone on the valve cover but see how it is leaking below that...is that a seal? the other leak we have already determined is coming from the distributor.
thanks ricky
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

no, it's a gasket. you need to replace the whole gasket assembly on the rocker cover, including the "b" seals. and this time, do NOT use silicone like you did last time!!! use permatex #2 non-hardening sealant, in the corners of the gasket area only. do NOT use anything else, even if the dude in the shop tries to sell you something different because he doesn't have it. and scrape /all/ that old silicone crap off there first. every little bit. once broken, it doesn't re-seal, hence the leakage.

that's a distributor replacement job if it's bad enough.
awesome, i'm glad i finally know what is goin on. you wouldn't happen to have a link or anything that shows the gasket set that you are talking about would you? i'm lookin all over the place to try and find what you are talking about...and i promise i i will use permatex!
thanks so much Ricky
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://catalog.worldpac.com/ibusiness/JSP.v.1.01/wizard.jsp?header=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/header.txt&footer=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/footer.txt&partner=ipb&clientid=alleurasianautoparts.com&baseurl=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/&cookieid/31AL5AY2F31AL5AX&year 93&make=HO&model=CVC-LX4-001&category=All&part=Valve+Cover+Gasket+Set
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm
oo a valve cover gasket...yea i installed a permatex the other day....i guess i took a bad angle of the picture, but its not coming from the silicone seal on the valve/rocker cover gasket...its the metal piece that holds the rocker arm that is right under it..the metal to metal parts. where the arrow is on the right side is the part the distributor bolts onto in the top and has the hole for the distributor, the leak is coming from the bottom of that part. i can't find a name on it anywhere or else i would tell you...sorry for being such a pain with this.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

you'll have to take it all off, remove and clean up the cam bearing cover - the arrowed bit - put a little permatex #2 sealant under it, GET RID OF ALL THAT SILICONE CRAP and put it back together with another new gasket. yes, i know you just put one on there, but they don't seal on re-use very well.
jim beam wrote:

and when i say a little, i mean it. you do /not/ want to fill the threads of the bolts or affect the clearances. just dab a little on a finger, then smear the finger on the mating surface so it's just discolored with the stuff. the bolt pressure on reassembly will squeeze it into forming the seal you need.

got it...thanks. getting a new distributor tomorrow and will do a follow up with the results. thanks again for all your help
Ricky
Just so we are on the same page, you can see the outline on these pics a little better of the valve cover gasket: [URL=
http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00026ny1.jpg]
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2237/img00026ny1.th.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2237/img00026ny1.th.jpg">
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2237/img00026ny1.th.jpg
[/ URL] [URL=
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00023xr2.jpg]
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1125/img00023xr2.th.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1125/img00023xr2.th.jpg">
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1125/img00023xr2.th.jpg
[/ URL]
Just wanting to make sure that if you see the brown line under the silicone on the metal to metal parts and reference that with the picture i posted before....if you are correct that is the valve cover? i figured it would be best to post as many pictures as possible in case anyone having these same problems can have ease in this thread...sorry for the quality though, its dark outside..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

check for missing bolts...

yea you know it's funny...as long as i have had the car i have never seen the two bolts that hold the camshaft tower. i noticed when i was at the yard yesterday pulling one off that i had never had those two bolts. anyways, i got a distributor and a cam tower(just to be safe) and am in the process of putting them on. i got a heck of a deal out there...all that for only $28!! if i can find enough time between cheer practice( yes, there are straight dude cheerleaders out there that can work on their cars lol) i will put them on and we will be up and running! thanks for all your help..
go noles
Ricky