crank bolt tightening debate

Page 3 of 3
What muddies the comparison is that the cars were both old enough to have been through at least one timing belt change, so we don't know how diligent
the mechanics were about retightening to the spec'd torque. It could be that the one who loctited the bolt also wimped out on the torque, relying on the loctite to hold the bolt. (Not good practice, but it happens.)
I'm completely undecided on this debate.
Mike

I was figuring they were junked cars, so their age and mileage might have been quite low. One Honda Civic vintage early 1990s I saw in a junkyard last year had only 5500 miles or so on it. Pretty well stripped, so I figure it had been there awhile.
Maybe Jim will give the odometer readings next time.

that
the
Sure.
This is a healthy position in which to be, AFAIC.

A representative of Bolt Science Ltd, a bona fide expert company in these matters, has told me specifically that it is "somewhat improbable" that the bolt turns in more once torqued.
A quote from an email: "Much more likely is that a change in the friction conditions in the thread and under the bolt head as occurred." (to explain why it apparently gets tighter in use).
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda/browse_thread/thread/611ca6332c3f50e
This is a crucial point. Not only is unknown whether the timing belt changes were done correctly but it is also unknown where the parts came from. Therefore, all the provided "evidence" is worthless and cannot be used in an objective evaluation.