crank bolt tightening debate

==============================================================================>

This is a crucial point. Not only is unknown whether the timing belt changes were done correctly but it is also unknown where the parts came from. Therefore, all the provided "evidence" is worthless and cannot be used in an objective evaluation.

Reply to
karl

==============================================================================>

Because no one came forward to help you I will explain it to you myself. Could be helpful when "educating college engineering students."

A quantity consists of a value (also called magnitude) and a unit (also called dimension), for example "4 quarts," or "1 gallon." Here, "4" and "1" are the values and "quarts" and "gallon" are the units of the quantities. In these examples the values and the units are different, but they both specify the same quantity because 4 quarts equal 1 gallon. So, it is irrelevant in what units a quantity is expressed, but it is common to choose units that yield easy to handle values - avoiding very small or very large numbers.

And if you are specific about the "other assertions" I will help you with those, too.

Now, would you please help me? I don't understand your first paragraph. But this could be because I am neither a mechanic nor am I a metallurgist, and I didn't have the benefits of "materials 101." When rewriting it, please pay particular attention to the implications of, "the cut of the threads does not tend to tighten the bolt," and, "The threads are helically cut on both coarse and fine thread designs, of course, so back-and-forth vibrating forces will tend to have the same effect on both." What would be the effects if the threads were not helically cut, and what bolts would these be?

Reply to
karl

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Very well said.

Reply to
karl

I just remembered why I hated school. Thanks for the memories.

Reply to
High