Crank Sensor - P0336

Crank Sensor (P0336) My son was involved in a minor slow speed (5 mph) fender bender with a

2002 S2000. Impact was on right front bumper of S2002 hitting my son's car. Afterwards the S2000 owner reported a P0336 code & had the crank sensor replaced for $330. Is it reasonable there should be a relationship between a low speed impact only damaging the bumper & a damaged crank sensor? I'm not a mechanic but that doesn't sound quite right. Interested in any pro's opinions on this. Thanks.
Reply to
KR

No, the crank sensor should not be affected. If the guy submitted a claim to your or his insurance company, let the insurance company deal with it. He may have to apply for an additional payment or something.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You can't make that call without knowing the extent of the damage, position of the sensor in the car he hit, etc. The crank sensor is at the front of the engine and could be smacked by flying parts of the car. If the code came up after being smacked by another car it is probably the result of the accident.

Reply to
Woody

There were no flying parts as no interior-engine compartment damage occurred - only the bumper...that's why I don't understand this. Is there any way some of the impact stress was transmitted through the drive train or some other weird thing?

Reply to
KR

I think it was just coincidence.

If the insurance companies are involved, let them figure it out.

If not, tell the other guy that you can't possibly see how the crank sensor could have been damaged and that you are not going to pay. Tell him very politely that if he disagrees, there is a thing called small claims court that he can pay for that will settle the matter.

It is very unlikely that the crash had anything to do with the crank position sensor. The only thing that I can see happening is that some wire got knocked loose, giving false readings about the function of the sensor. But, if that were the case, it's not your fault he had an incompetent mechanic.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi, In real world, anything can happen beyond normal common sense or logic. If it happened right after accident however minor it is, onus is on you, IMO.

Reply to
Tony Hwang