CRV Auto Shift Lever Question

Hello all -

I'm considering the Honda CRV (either new or late-model used), but have a question about its oddly-mounted shift lever (I will be shopping for an automatic transmission).

Does it operate like a standard steering-column mounted shifter (which you generally have to "depress", move to the next position, then "release" to lock it in place... -or- Does it work like most floor-mounted auto shift levers, which can be freely moved between the "Drive" and "Neutral" positions?

In other words, if you're driving along, coming to a stop, and you want to go from "Drive" to "Neutral", can you just nudge it into neutral (and back to drive) with a simple "push", rather than a "depress/move/lock" movement?

Believe it or not, that's a "car breaker" for me. If it doesn't work like a floor-mounted lever, I'm not interested in the vehicle, and will shop for something else that _does_ have a standard floor-mount auto shifter.

Thanks,

- John

Reply to
John Albert

Yes, it operates like a standard lever. I've driven one for three years and it's very easy to shift and use. Go ahead and buy a CR-V. But be careful when you get an oil change! Make sure it's done properly. The Honda engineers surely screwed that one up by mounting the oil filter near the exhaust manifold. Honda needs to get better engineers!

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

I've read a few posts about the location of the oil filter. Come to think about it the filter on my civic is located above/slightly to the side of the exhaust manifold. A slighly worrying design aspect!

Reply to
Jez