CRV keyless entry kit?

Hello.

I'm trying to find "the perfect gift" for my dad for Christmas. He owns an '03 or '04 CRV but it didn't come with keyless entry. I'm thinking about buying him a keyless entry kit and either installing it myself or having it installed. When you put the key in the door handle and turn it a specific way it will unlock all the other doors and on the inside of the driver's door next to the window controller there are the buttons for locking and unlocking the other doors so this means it is wired for central control.

First, is this a simple project? According to the brief synapses on the internet it they say it is very easy to install, but I would like someone's opinion that actually installed one.

Second, should I stick with a Honda brand unit or does anyone have another they could recommend? I like the idea of buying Honda as it SHOULD just slap into place, but they are asking about double what some of the other units cost. I found a list of them on this website*:

Thanks for any help. Smed

*I am in no way affiliated with slickcar.com. I am merely passing the link on as a reference. This is not spam.
Reply to
Smed

Hi, I installed remote starter and keyless entry, alarm, etc. a few time on different cars including '97 CRV. If you are handy with electronics theory with good soldering skills it is not a diffidult task. If you sre not, worst case you can blow ECU. After market units are more robust. As a matter of fact I installed one today for my wife's new Suzuki SX4. It was little tricky due to factory anti-theft engine kill feature. I needed a bypass kit in addition.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

--------------------------------

Under $100 US, plug-n-play, comes with two remotes:

The installation instructions are included and it should take about an hour. The revenue also helps to support a really great web site.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

--------------------

Oh yeah, Just remembered: It's OEM Honda and you can install it ahead of time without them suspecting anything, and just give them the remotes wrapped up as a gift at Christmas.

What a thoughtful child you are!

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

website*:

I have a 97 crv. Honda installs keyless entry in all vehicles and sells the remotes for 250 or so. Here is a website that can get you the remotes for 65 brand new. Installation is a breeze, just need the key.

I found this out from the dealerwhen I bought a kit to install and asked them a question about it andthat is what they told me. Saved me a LOT of work. They try to tellyou that it runs through the factory radio, but it dont!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

Wait a minute. Are you saying that the remote receiver is already installed inside the vehicle and all I need to do is buy a replacement remote and "arm" it to the car?

Reply to
Smed

Yes, it was on the '97 (first generation). Read the instructions I pointed you to and you'll see that you'll be installing the receiver yourself on a Generation II CR-V.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

It is cheaper at the site I pointed out, but yeah its there. Cute little trick eh?

Reply to
bigjcw1023