CRV timing belt

2002 CRV with 91,000 miles. Did some routine maintenance this weekend, and was looking through the owners manual to check the recommended time and/or mileage to replace the timing belt. I saw no reference in the manual for replacing the timing belt. Did some checking on-line and read that in 2002 and newer, Honda went with a timing chain. I was not aware of this (my '04 Accord - V6 - has a belt). I was just looking for additional confirmation from the experts here. Is that correct? The 2002 CRV does not have a timing belt that needs replacement? Thanks. G
Reply to
crustybutthole

crustybutthole wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep. The belt went out with the B20 engine, whose last year was 2001. Your K24 has a chain.

Unlike the old-style chains of yore, the CR-V's chain has a really long, slinkily curved tensioner that won't wear down like the old tiny "shoe" tensioners did.

Change your oil according to the schedule in the Owner's Manual and the chain will last the life of the engine.

Reply to
Tegger

Is it a duplex or single row chain. That can affect life.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:zBrDm.517$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

It's a silent chain, not a single or duplex.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the confirmation.

crustybutthole

Goes to prove I have not been keeping up with changes in automotive tech. Had to Google silent chain to find our what it is. Certainly, seems to be an improvement over what used to be. I can still see the duplex chain system on the 64 Jag XKE I had years ago.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:wGMDm.80$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

I did provide a Google link for that.

It's a /considerable/ improvement. And combined with the new style of tensioner system, means that chains are the wave of the future. And believe it or not, chains are cheaper for automakers to produce.

The original problem with chains was the fact that they wore a lot over time. Wear meant that they "stretched", which in turn retarded valve timing, throwing emissions, mileage, and power off from what they should have been.

Belts were better for all the above, but their downfall was the need for relatively frequent replacement. Hence the current move back to chains, but with new chain technology. Silent chains (AKA inverted-tooth chains) wear at a fraction of the rate that the old beefed-up bicycle chains did.

Reply to
Tegger