__ 'Curly' needs a Carfax - Anybody got one?

I'm looking at a 2000 CR-V, but the history on it is very mysterious.

I already shelled out $20 for an 'Alberta Registries' search, but it only goes back to March '05.

Pretty sure it came from Manitoba originally.

Can anybody help me out with VIN# JHLRD187XYC805696 ? ?

Thanks in advance. 'Curly' Since there are a couple of _under_scores_ hidden in my return address, you'll have to remove them to reply . . . . Thanks.

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

OK, I got one, thanks very much to the sender ! !

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

So.....?

Anything lurid and exciting? Odometer rollback? Drug-gang car? Destroyed in volcanic eruption? Anything? C'mon....

Reply to
TeGGeR®

=============================

Yes, indeed. Seven reported accidents in a couple of years. Owner must have suffered from undiagnosed narcolepsy (falling asleep unexpectedly), or a legally blind person (kept driving into things).

I might have to pass on this one....

BTW, I had to beat the bushes to find these facts. The carfax had no record of any of that stuff. :-(

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Seven? SEVEN?

This car must be crumpled tin-foil by now. Seven?

I believe it. How'd you "beat the bushes"? What did you actually end up doing? Might be handy for others to know.

As an aside, somebody in another group had a Carfax subscription and was offering to do checks for people for the little bit he had left and wasn't going to use. I ran my VIN past him, and Carfax correctly reported only one owner, but failed to mention the fender-bender I had a few years ago.

Another car based in California was run through Carfax. Carfax accurately (and in detail) reported the repeated emission test failures this car had had, and reported the number of owners.

It seems Carfax only gets its info if insurance companies, state motor vehicle departments, and the like, report to them what's been done. If nobody reports, it doesn't get entered.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

--------------------------------

This is good: Some help came from a fellow on the newsgroup who knows a guy who used to work with a guy who works for an insurer who was able to just phone the DMV in his city and ask for the name of the 'Most recent registered Owner' (nothing illegal about that).

I phoned the Department of Motor Vehicles in every province the car had resided, and one was VERY forthcoming with the details. Then I searched the name of the 'last registered owner' and found it was an AUCTION, (google told me the owner supports Ducks Unlimited, BTW), and then I phoned a used car dealer (I knew) in the same city and asked him all about the auction in question. He was very talkative.

BTW: Carfax will say "there's no sign of odometer tampering" even if there are NO READINGS ON RECORD. A truthful, but misleading statement.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of this vehicle's Out-of-Province Inspection. It should read like a cheap horror novel. :-)

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

in california, all you need to do is enter the license plate number in the DMV website and itll tell you its smog check history. no VIN needed!

Reply to
SoCalMike

mileage there... pity. It shows no hits at all on my recent vehicles. Don't you get to go about four years before a smog check on a new car?

It was a little amusing to see an old vehicle of mine moving around the area. At first I thought it was wrong. I've never been to there... but it was after I sold it. Another one that I gave away failed smog, but I see it magically passed three years later ;-)

Reply to
dold