CV axle seals - to change or not?

I'll be installing new axles on my 92 Accord 5spd next weekend. Should I plan on replacing the axle seals, or leave them be? I believe these are the OEM axles, so the seals are gettting on in years. OTOH, they are working fine and I'd rather not go trying to fix something that's not broken.

My Haynes (I know!) manual indicates using large a screwdriver or seal puller. I'm a bit leery of wrenching them out and don't want to fight them if there is some danger of nerfing the seal seat.

Thanks.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg Campbell

There's really no need to change them unless they're leaking. You can put a light coating of grease on the inner lip of the seal. Be careful during the installation and removal of the axles not to damage the seal and you should be fine.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

You have your choice....

Spend a little extra and change an over 10 year old seal thats probably hard as a rock, OR wait until it leaks and do all the same work without replacing the axles.

Choose wisely.

BTW- The seal change isnt that hard.

-SP

Greg Campbell wrote: