CV joint boot grease leakage

Plus if you get the Cardone ones from AdcanceAutoParts, they carry a lifetime warranty, so when they do crack the next time, you can get them swapped. So far knock on wood, they have lasted me almost three years.

Reply to
nick

You're lucky.

Virtually everything that I purchased with a "Cardone" connection has failed prematurely.

Now, I avoid that brand judiciously.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Thanks for all the responses on this. Obviously this is a pervasive concern & common experience. The CV joint boots were replaced in 2003 either at the Honda dealer or a reputable garage. Half-axles/CV joints are original. No clicking or thunking at all & boots are good

- no cracks at all. The grease really is coming out of the ends of the boots under the clamps. I'm intrigued with the approach of just replacing/tightening the clamps, at least as a 1st step. Does that require special equipment/tools? Is that something I could do myself or is it a 5 min job at the garage that they probably would not charge much for?

Reply to
KR

But I think you'd need to buy some new bands, since the excess is required for tightening and then gets cut off.

I used one (once, in the course). It's a little tricky for the inexperienced to use. I think I'd call around and see what a shop wants to change out the bands. I might go for it, though.

"KR" wrote

Reply to
Elle

The important part of replacing the bands without replacing the boots is cleanliness. After removal of the the old bands, the boot should be cleaned along with the axle mating surface to ensure that no grease exists between the boot and that surface. Failure to do so will surely result in the boot slipping and leakage reoccurring...

JT

Elle wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire

KR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c49g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Loose bands are NOT common, split boots are.

You must replace the bands. It's best if you let the garage do the work.

Reply to
Tegger

Were there new Cardone or rebuilt Cardone? I'm guessing rebuilt, but I'd like to hear your answer.

Reply to
scott21230

I don't know of anything "new" coming out of Cardone...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire