D16Z performance options?

I've been wanting to boost my 91 civic for some time and I've been very frustrated. Please help me out.
Can someone please point out the best route for upgrading my D16Z block to
accept a moderate to large shot of NOS with a mid-sized budget, say $8k. I am not interested in turbocharging right now, strictly NOS. Please focus this attention to the block (pistons, rods, sleeves, crank, cam, etc) and ECU. I am wanting 250+ hp overall with *NO PROGRAMMABLE ECU* (no hondata, no neptune). I am however interested in replacement or modified ECU's that retain the stock config with a defeated (or increased) governer and revlimiter. Mainly I want quick RPM's and a major increase in midrange and high-end torque. I also would like some reliability. Any ideas?
Thanks for your input :)
-
Janus wrote:

makes no sense. stock ecu but more power??? no programmable ecu but replacement or modified ecu's ok???
and why nos??? if you just want to drive in a straight line for 15 seconds, buy a ford. you can't use nos out on the track.
and read this: http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone /

Stock ECU configuration because I want it tuned to run basically stock whenever I'm not using the NOS. But I would like the governer and revlimiter increased. NOS instead of turbo because I don't want boost all the time. I don't want that extra strain and power when I don't need it. Sure, there are turbo controllers, but there is still a minimum boost running all the time. Furthermore, I don't feel like hassling with dyno tuning.
-

I'm sorry, let me elaborate a little more... I'd like a quick, all-motor engine MOST of the time. Something that builds up RPM's fast, with a reserve of a considerable NOS shot when I need it. And I wouldn't get much benefit from upgrading the valvetrain if the stock ECU's revlimiter is going to prevent me from peaking 6.5k RPM's. Otherwise, the stock ECU is fine. I'd also like the governer defeated, but it's not necessary as I probably wouldn't be taking advantage of this very much, but I'd like it anyways.
-
Janus wrote:

you're kinda stuck. the best non-turbo way to make more power is to up the rpm's, and that means work on the crank, con rods, pistons and most of all, cams. and you need an ecu with a raised limit. there are stock jdm ecu's for the 91 sir crx which go higher, but it'll be hard to get one, and i doubt it'll pass smog here. depends on which state you're in i guess.
as mentioned by others, changing the motor is an easy solution. regarding ecu's, i have seen a site showing how to program/re-flash your old ecu memory, but you need to know what you're doing on that one. have a working spare handy just in case.

anybody suggest starting with an engine swap first say to
B18C (-R) B16A B16B
at least then you will cover lots of factory HP ground to your 250+ hp mark
that is you are starting with D16Z (120 hp) where B18C-R ( 195hp) so thats 75 hp for about $1500 maybe not as impressive as 250+ out of a D16Z but ? easier ?
m2c rob

Whatever you do, your '91 engine has to come out, and you have $8K. Don't bother with the D16: get a Prelude or Integra B18 VTEC (with the manual transmission) and rebuild the lot. Once its all ready, along with the brake and suspension upgrades (you ARE going to get better brakes, right?), exhaust etc , take all the old bits out and do it all once.
Stewart DIBBS