DaimlerChrysler to Bring Teeny Two-Seater to U.S.

Page 3 of 4
Gordon McGrew wrote:

If a person is strapped in correctly, the deceleration (G-force) that can be tolerated is amazing. See: http://www.ejectionsite.com/stapp.htm
Add pictures here
✖

Some people certainly can, as some have survived remarkable falls. Auto safety has to be designed for the worst mainstream case, rather than the best. Captain Stapp's recklessness aside, there are good reasons for the 18 G limit.
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
Mike Hunter wrote:

I guess the air bags don't mean much with the engine in your lap.

Add pictures here
✖
TeGGeR® wrote:

Your suspicion is wrong, in the EU almost all of the drivers are young professionals aged 25-35, certainly all the ones i see round the cities ive visited, they arent THAT expensive here, just a little more than compact car.
One of our car TV programs did a 50 or 70mph diagonal impact with a concrete wall test in one, I'll see if i can find the video for our viewing pleasure.
Add pictures here
✖
Your suspicion is wrong, in the EU almost all of the drivers are young professionals aged 25-35, certainly all the ones i see round the cities ive visited, they arent THAT expensive here, just a little more than compact car.
The US brands of car make a rather pathetic showing on the streets of Europe. Chevy advertises heavily; Ford less so, but you see many more Smarts and Toyotas on the road. Yaris is very popular.
Add pictures here
✖

Ahhhhhh... no. 140mph head on and the F1 car explodes. But, that's the design intent. The only thing that escapes is the driver's tub. If a car did not dissipate the energy the driver would. Chances of survival in a 140mph head on impact which only crushed 8-10" of a car would be quite low.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Safer than a Harley, dude. Better mileage, too, sounds like.
All I know is, I had to maneuver in the parking lot yesterday around some idiot in their extra-cab Ford 150 that stuck its ass halfway across the narrow lane, got past that only to see an even bigger Ford 350 4WD, parked outside the Wild Oats store where these two citizens had gone to buy their non-fat lattes and cartons of sprouts. There just gots to be a better way.
J.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't blame the big vehicles, get a gun and shoot the "it's-all-about-me" drivers.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
✖

the term for those drivers is "MFFY"; Me First,F-You.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
JXStern wrote:

LOL, ain't it the truth. Then there's the take two spaces so it don't get scratched gang.
Add pictures here
✖

But the drivers of those vehicles "need" them. Just ask and they will tell you. While you can get into conversations about constitutional rights to drive whatever you want, the fact is, few really need the size vehicle they drive. I have a Regal and a LeSabre, but could really get by with a Civic or Yaris about 99% of the time. Outside of North America, you just don't see the huge trucks and yet people manage to get their jobs done and commute to work.
I do like a lot of goodies in a car. I've been re-thinking my priorities. I was about ready to spring for a Lucerne, but I may just wait and make a larger down payment of a Cobalt, Civic or Corolla instead. There is more to life than a big car.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

If you like goodies like navigation, auto AC, heated seats, etc, in a small car, think about a BMW 3 series, Lexus IS 250, Acura RL or TS.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The republican congress at the beginning of the current administration passed tax legislation that made it *very* attractive to own an SUV. Here in So Calif you see little soccer moms driving huge SUV's all over town. Usually while talking on the cell phone.
Add pictures here
✖

To some extent, there is truth to that. To some extent, your synicism is well placed. I had an S-10 for several years. Plowed snow every winter, carried lumber, hauled the garbage, lugged around my snowmobile, carted some of the family - but not all, etc. It did just fine. It was a bit cramped and it lacked for heavy towing capability, but it really did most everything I needed. When it came time for a new truck, I went with a full size truck because it plowed better, towed better, was wayyyy more comfortable, carried more, and only got 2-3 mpg less than my S-10. I could have gotten by just fine with another S-10, but I got by with more capability with my K-1500. Gas was cheap enough to not worry about the small difference in mileage. Hell, the comfort alone was worth that sacrifice. This truck will stay around for a few more years, but when it comes time for it to retire I'll probably look at the equivelent of an S-10 again.

Unless it's a '66 Cobra, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to crawl in and out of anything smaller than my current '03 Grand Am, or my wife's '04 Sonata. Who knows, maybe in a couple more years...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
✖
Mike Marlow wrote:

I wonder, what was the difference in mileage? I have a four cyl S-10 (89) and my 97 4.6 T-Bird gets better mileage.
Add pictures here
✖

is
winter,
some
cramped
everything
truck
carried
just
K-1500.
I'll
My S-10 was the 2.8L 6 cylinder and it got 18mpg. My '94 K-1500 gets 15.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
✖

If I was in my twenties, I'd certainly be driving something different. MY wife would like an Eclipse, but she'd have a helluva time getting in and out of it.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Most of the time,they could just RENT the large vehicle when needed,and save a lot of money.

Small cars (Civic size)are SO much easier to drive and PARK. More fun,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

amen, amen.
Add pictures here
✖
TeGGeR® wrote:

The smarts pass all safety checks in the european ncap tests with flying colours, which includes passenger space intrusion, shock loading etc regulations, better than a lot of larger cars. The reason they cost more is because getting this kind of protection in a smaller lighter vehicle takes a lot of hard work and design time, and testing.
Personally I wouldnt drive one, they're ugly, but for a city/suburbs car they are ideal and perfectly safe, if not safer than the vast majority of yank tanks.
✖