Dealer Switched from Castrol to Mobil Oil - Downgrade?

Page 2 of 2

If you follow an average oil change interval, any API spec oil is just fine. All modern oils are essentially good and better than they used to be.
MAT wrote:

not "any" oil. motorcraft api spec "semi-synthetic" makes the seals on my 89 civic leak like sieves. subsequently running castrol or mobil oil, i've had no leakage problems from the same seals whatsoever.
first line oil analysis is spark spectrometry. [quick and cheap.] that's good for inorganic components like zinc, but useless for organic component analysis. on spark analysis, motorcraft oil appears to have an inorganic additive package just as good as other oils. but if it's causing leakage, clearly it's missing organic components like seal conditioners - and this would never show on spectrometry. guess that's why it's cheap.

May be the problem is with the Honda OEM seals not the oil.
///snipped///
DaveD
On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:40:40 +0000, Don Enderton wrote:

I don't know about the Service Specs, etc, but I have been using Castrol for over 25 years and have 3 High Mileage cars.
Also, I picked up a Supra a couple years ago, and the vale stem seals need replacing. Big cloud of blue smoke on startup. Started using Castrol High Mileage..no more blue smoke. After the next oil change I'll switch back to regular Castrol.
If you can do your own changes, do it. They're easy. They don't cost a lot less, but you'll get what you want for oil and filters.
Hey Don here's some info on your topic . Hope this helps. http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm