debating getting a new honda

Hello all, we currently have a highlander for our "family car", V6 and AWD, which means about 18.5 mpg for us (UGGH)......well, gas prices have us reconsidering its legitimacy. We are thinking about getting either a new Civic EX, Accord LX, SE or EX 4 cyl, or new Camry LE or SE

4 cylinder. (I don't like the Corolla)

Specifically, will the civic be suitable for use as a primary "family" car. We have one child (no more planned, trust me!). I know it is a "step down" from the highlander, but we really like the looks of the civic, and we LOVE the MPG it gets! Could 2 normal sized adults fit in the back of the new civic with a small child seat in the middle? This is an occasional situation for us, but rarely. This would be one of the reasons I may reconsider and get an Accord or Camry 4 cyl instead.

Also, are there any major issues with the new civic with it being a redesign and all? Thanks for any and all comments.

Reply to
mrmatrix

At this point, I would get a 4-cylinder Accord. Lots of room, more than adequate power, and great fuel economy for its size and class. Since Camry is all new for 2007, I would never buy a car in its first year of production regardless of the manufacturer. The current Accord came out for 2003.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

As the owner of a new 06 Accord I4, I think you would be better off with the Accord vs the Civic. I think you would be pressed to fit a child seat and two adults in the back of a Civic. The I4 Accord has plenty of power and gets decent gas mileage on regular -- 28 - 33 has been my experience so far. The I4 Accord has a chain cam drive rather than a belt which will cut your long-term maintenance costs.

Reply to
tww

We were able to get an Accord SE for the same price as a Civic EX. The Civics were going for full MSRP, the Accord SEs were priced below Invoice. No sunroof on the Accord SE, but alot more space and comfort with a not bad

34 mpg highway rating.
Reply to
Zoofreak

I have a 2006 Civic -- and love it -- but agree that fitting two adults and a child seat in the back would be difficult. Very rarely have I had someone riding in the back seat, and then only for short trips. It's not a _bad_ fit for normal sized people, but there's not much room left over.

--Nan

Reply to
nblomgren

"Zoofreak" wrote

The above might be the dealbreaker.

I suggest test driving several models of the Accord and Civic, noting the invoice prices. I think the difference in comfort will be obvious.

Reply to
Elle

Actually, the current Civic is also chain-driven.

The Accord V6 still uses a belt I believe.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The new Civic is nice, but if the ability to put three in the back with some comfort is an issue, move up to the Accord.

Also, the new Civic is in shorter supply than the Accord, so the price difference might be smaller than otherwise expected.

Of all you mentioned, the Accord is the best bet because it is now a proven design (made since 2003) and gives you a lot of space, safety and comfort for your dollar.

The 4 cylinder version is plenty powerful enough as long as charging over mountain ranges with a full vehicle at 80 MPH isn't your thing. For normal use the 4 has plenty of power. The 4 also gets better fuel economy than the V-6 and has a timing chain instead of a belt, which means lower maintenance costs down the road.

If, however, capacity for 4 people is enough then the new Civic is a hard car to beat.

Any of the vehicles you are considering will probably serve you well.

John

Reply to
John Horner

My brother got a new Civic about 2 months ago. My wife has a 2003 Accord. My brother likes the Civic, and so do I, but the Accord is better(and not just because it's roomier). It's easy to get a good price on Accords(at least in my area) but my brother had to do some intensive shopping around to get a reasonable price on the Civic.

Ken

mrmatrix wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Hey my 4EX goes up the Sepulveda Pass at 80MPH with the air on, though I do have to convince it to downshift to fourth, but that's with just me, not five and luggage (and it is pretty nearly sea level).

Of course, more often it goes up the pass at 8MPH due to traffic, but that's another story!

Civic will save you two or three grand at purchase, maybe another hundred a year on insurance, and with another three MPG on a good day, maybe a grand a year on gas, if you're doing lots of miles. And the Civic sheet metal is prettier than the Accord, that new Accord rear end is pretty blech (I just finally got used to the curvy taillights on the old model!) I think the current Civic is larger than my old

1987 Accord, but the new Accords do have a pretty roomy back seat. The new Accord is actually a bit larger than I really like to drive around in, but if you're coming down from a Highlander, I suppose you don't have that issue! Civic will be OK on power, but uphill with a full load you will have to rev it, while the Accord, with larger displacement, can still lug its way along, just not in overdrive.

I'd say let the available colors decide, but they seem to come in about the same ones, and an unattractive palette it is.

The good news is, you can't go wrong with this stuff.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Yes. It does.

Reply to
tww

Reply to
mrmatrix

As far as Camry goes, the 4-banger is chain-driven but I think the V6 still uses a belt.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I agree with you on Honda's limited and uninspired color palette. For the Accord I like dark red metallic (only available on V-6 I think) and the dark blue the best.

John

Reply to
John Horner