Detergent Oil

Just got an 03 Odyssey. The manual says to use a detergent oil. What exactly is a detergent oil. What brands of oil are a detergent oil? Does someone make a synthetic or synthetic blend of detergent oil? Maybe I
should stick with Honda oil? Any thoughts on this would be great.
Brian

An odd mention; nearly all motor oil is detergent. I've only heard of non-detergent oil being used for break-in, and I don't know anyplace that stocks it.
The API rating and weight are the things you want to look for. I have heard bad buzz about Havoline from my motorhead brother and a couple other sources, but most major brands will do just fine. I also favor synthetic, but I don't want to start that whole discussion again.
Mike
Shredder wrote:

They must be using the same line of text from 30 years ago. All modern fully formulated motor oils are "detergent" type oils. You can still find SA rated non-detergent motor oils at dollar stores and some convenience stores. Never use that junk! It wasn't any good in 1940 and it still is no good today :).
Any name brand oil labeled the latest "SM" and/or "GF-4" will work fine for you as long as you stick with the severe service schedule of the owners manual.
John

Lawnmowers still use straight 30wt non-detergent oils. I have a quart bottle of the stuff on my shelf.
This is a good time to mention never to waste your money on those "premium" lawnmower oils. They're just 30-wt non-detergent, at twice the price.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Whats the reason for non-detergent oil in lawn mowers? My Honda mower calls for 10w30 oil. Scott

Actually no small engine (mower) manufacturer still recommends non detergent oil,and lawn mower engines have come a long way via prodding by the E.P.A. , believe it or not some engines on commercial mowers now come with Bosch designed E.F.I. with computerised engine control, o2 sensors and M.I.L. lights just like a car. Also, hydraulic lifters, some have catalytic converters, and other advanced features. However, I will admit in a $99 mower the non detergent oil won't hurt if changed often, but when a serious 25-30 hp engine replacement costs $1700 and up don't take chances, use good oil. Scott
scott wrote:

non-detergent oil is recommended for mowers because it doesn't emulsify as bad when water gets into the crank case - as happens when they get left out in the rain, then stored in a garage all winter.

Jim, your information is very much out of date. The oldest service bulletin from Briggs and Stratton I could easily lay my hands on was from 1990 and even back then, 16 years ago they recommended detergent oil. If you have a current owner's manual for your mower I would suggest you read it.If you (or any one else)are interested I will try to find a link to he service bulletins that apply. Please don't take offense, I just had to say something as it is my job to deal with misconceptions like this daily. Scott
scott wrote:

no offense taken! i hardly ever mow the lawn, and read the manual even less. i have however had to fix a crank case full of congealed mayonnaise...

My nearly brand-new Tecumseh-engined mower's manual says I can use either straight 30-wt or 5W-30 motor oil. My choice. In fact, it came with a 20oz bottle of that "premium" 30-wt lawnmower oil.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

Ah, but it didn't say to use non-detergent oil, did it? Tecumseh is saying you can use a fully formulated straight 30 or multi-grade 5W-30. I don't think there even is such a thing as a non-detergent multi-grade oil. That non-detergent SA crap is straight weight.
In 2004 the auto makers association did a big test of the impacts of using SA oil in modern engines by doing detailed comparison tests. They are really trying to get that junk off the market so that fools who buy the cheapest thing on the shelf at their local convenience store don't grenade their engines. Have a look:
http://www.ilma.org/resources/impact_lowqualityoils.pdf
John
John

On better reading of the Tecumseh manual, I find you're right.
The manual specifically mentions detergent oil, and specifies that the label should say API SL/SJ.

Yes it is. And it says "non-detergent" on the label.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

You are a little out of date on that Tegger, by decades. Most small engines now specify at least SH rated motor oils not that old SA junk. (The current US automotive minimum spec is SM).
For example, you can look at page 70 of the PDF for a typical Honda consumer lawn mower owners manual and see that the recommended oil is SAE 10W-30, SH or SJ rated:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/OWN_LAW/own/31VB4610.PDF
I picked this manual because it is readily available online, stay on topic as a "Honda" and is typical of modern equipment. You will find the same kind of recommendations for Briggs & Stratton, Kawasaki, John Deere, etc.
If you are putting that SA rated non-detergent junk in your small engines you are not doing them any favors!
John

OK .... this answered my question. Should I consider using synthetic or a synthetic blend? or use Honda Oil?

What's your manual say? Does it want 5W-30 or 5W-20?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

5w20

You will never find 5W-20 that has no detergent in it. Never.
Your manual, like somebody already said, contains some standard bumpf Honda has been cutting-and-pasting into every manual since Hector was a pup.