Did you compare with Mazda3?

I am sure a lot of Civic driver here had experienced driving a Mazda3.
I am wondering why you chose the Civic instead of Mazda3? Do you feel Civic is "quieter" than Mazda3?
I am deciding between these two models, actually I am more biased to Civic EX but the wife likes MAzda3's zoom and leather/heated seats. But she also noted that Mazda3 seems noisier driving on highway than Civic EX...
Hope you can share experiences especially from those people who owns both!
harry wrote:

Mazda's reliability has really gone downhill in recent years, most likely due to Ford's influence. As well, Civic gets much better gas mileage. Mazda3 gets mileage that's comparable to an Accord.
High Tech Misfit wrote:

shock! horror! tell me it can't be true!

You might also look at a Mazda5. Now that is an interesting car at a reasonable price if you want some room.

Resale Resale Resale.
Tom

Yes, I test drove a 3 before I bought the Civic. I also drove a Corolla.
The 3 was a very enthusiastic little car, but the road noise was so loud I thought maybe the car's trunk wasn't latched, or something. The instrumentation struck me as being adolescent, for lack of a better term.
I think the Civic feels more stable, as well. Less body roll.
I didn't dislike the 3 -- I just felt the Civic was a nicer car, more fuel efficient and overall a much better value.
harry wrote:

I drove a mazda 3 with both engines in a 5 speed manual. both engines had pretty good "pep" but it was sort of noisey. they do have a longer warranty than the civic. but resale value on a honda is much better than a mazda.
I would say get the civic. In a few years if you decide you want something else, you'll be able to sell a honda for way more then you'd be able to sell the Ford aka Mazda for.
Or if you like the car and keep it, the Honda will have less maintanence then the Ford.

Which model of Civic are you considering? Have you checked out Scion tC? I just bought one few months ago, love it. It's a hatchback too.
I used to have a brand new Civic EX, but sold it after two years. I was getting back pains from driving it for more than 1 hour.
Civic EX for it's reliability and resale value. Don't get the auto transmission though. It will be jerky sooner or later. It's a common problem with Honda cars in general.
I used to have a brand new Civic EX, but sold it after two years. Was getting back pains from driving it more than 1 hour. This was many years ago though. I test drove the 06 one and it has improved alot.
I have an '06 Scion tC (also considered: Acura RSX, Civic EX, Hyundai Tiburon, Corolla). Scion is actually about $2000 less than Civic EX with comparable features and 20 more horsepower and hatchback (great!). The downside is lower gas mileage and four doors is not an option. Check it out in edmunds or yahoo auto.
The automatic transmission on the '06 civic is smooth as butter and the redesign gives you five speeds, tighter computer intelligence on the shifting, and better gas mileage. Yeah, maybe you could drive it smoother with a stick, but why bother? Honda just erased any reason to deal with a stick shift, unless you like racing or tweaking.
The lumbar support on the seats is awesome. It helps to adjust the seat so it's slightly reclining. A more upright position gives you better cervical support. I had back surgery in '94 so I am sensitive to these things.