Differences between a 2010 Civic and Elantra

Page 1 of 3
Hello,
Right now I have a 2008 Accord EXL and I am thinking of downsizing my lease for the up coming one. I'm going to be re-structuring my investing outlook and need to re-think my finances. I thinking of
either a later model 2010 or 2011 Honda Civic or Hyundai Elantra.
The Civic EX is about 21,800 and the comparably equipped Hyundai Elantra SE with premium package is 18,200. Has anyone had any experience with the Hyundai as far as how it runs (good or bad) and reliability, controls, ride, handling etc compared to the Civic? 3,600 is a pretty big difference in price.
Just to throw some figures out there, I called my Honda dealer and was given a monthly lease quote of 342.00 for a 2010 Civic EX with 1200.00 down 3 year 36k mi. I also contacted Hyundai about an Elantra GLS with 2000.00 down. Hyundai's lease for 2 year 24k mi was 159.00 a month. So I'm sure if I dropped the down payment to 1200 on the Hyundai it would be about 179.00 a month. Still quite a bargain, but only if the car is close to the Civic in how it drives.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Al
In article

How about don't lease a car--but instead buy a nice 2 year old used one, pay cash, and keep it?
Otherwise, the "re-structuring of your investing outlook" will be nothing more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Who can afford to buy a 2 year old car in cash? That's a bad investment, you'd have to deplete a lot of funds in your investments to do that and the market is coming up. Drawing the money prior to recovery is a bad thought.
In article

OK, so finance it--and then keep it.
And squirrel away those lease payments you've been paying.
After not too long, you'll realize you can buy that Acura you've always wanted, and pay cash for it.

A car is never an investment, no matter how you structure things. It's an expense, pure and simple.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Well yes 'n no... Antique/classic cars are investment but often marginal examples never are profitable.
OTOH, for daily transportation, your cite is exactly why I deal in ancient Civics that are cheap to obtain, operate and maintain...
JT

So are you saying that Hyundai Elantra's are costly to operate and maintain? I'm just trying to see where the difference in price is. Hyundai has been around a while so it should be a lot more reliable than it was in the 80's, and also its known long enough to have prices parallel to Honda, but yet there's a large gap in costs for comparable models. I've owned 4 Honda's for 3 years each. They were all bought new. During that time all of them had some kind of annoying problem, which was fixed by warranty, but still being a car which is know for reliability it hasn't really been that reliable for me.
Al wrote:

Well, with (any) new car, there's payments, high insurance rates, etc.
OTOH, with my method, I pay about $100 for a vehicle, spend an additional five or six hundred bux and usually get pretty reliable cheap to operate transportation. Been driving the '82 Civic automatic since last September and it hasn't missed a beat...
The savings allow me a couple of trips to Vegas, back east and lots of good dining etc.
Works for me!
JT

Actually I pay for little for insurance. I have full coverage including rental rider, 250,000 liability, collision, fire and theft, towing and only 250 deductible. I pay about $97.00 a month for my car.
On 06/01/2010 08:09 PM, Al wrote:

hey loser, how many bedrooms does your house have? and what color are your skivvies? any more retarded personal details you want to reveal? like how you're obviously incapable of negotiating a decent rate for car insurance?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

In article

So again, all you focus on is "how much per month is it".
I pay under $600/YEAR for that coverage.
On 06/02/10 06:34, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Location, plus the specifics of the vehicle insured, are major factors in the cost of insurance. OTOH, I would not pay the premium monthly, additional cost isn't worth it (to me, anyway, YMMV, of course).
On 06/02/2010 03:34 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

iow, he's a loser living hand to mouth. while there's nothing wrong with that, it's ridiculous that he's trying to paint a different story, but is too retarded to carry the lie.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

What is a looser living hand to mouth? Do you make up you're own expressions too? By the way, I'm a conservative, not a Liberal. I'm not painting a picture of anything. I'm middle class, live in the burbs etc etc like most of the people on this board probably are.
On 06/02/2010 01:41 PM, Al wrote:

1. it's spelled "l-o-s-e-r", loser. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loser?jss=0
2. it's not "you're" [which is short for "you are"], it's "y-o-u-r".
3. you're not a conservative - you're too retarded to be a conservative.
4. you're not middle class - middle class people went to schools that taught them how to spell.
5. living in one room of your mom's trailer in barstow, ca. is not "the burbs" - it's where losers live.
6. your final word should have been "do", not "are". see #'s 1, 2, 3 & 4 above.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Well I have to confess...I am a bad speller even though I went to college and graduated and became a middle class person. I'm actually a constitution party member, which is basically an extreme conservative. I'm a right wing extremist and I denounce you! Although I was in Los Angeles a few years back thats not where I live now. I already told you I'm in the North East! Its a house in the burbs not a trailer.
On 06/02/2010 06:44 PM, Al wrote:

so your mom rents a house and not a trailer? that still means you're a loser.
and it's "t-h-a-t-'-s", not "thats". as in "that is". goddamned retard.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Depends on where you live. If you live down south or west its going to be much more. Anything in the Northeast is going to be higher and what kind of car you drive. If you drive a $27,000.00 car its going to be more.
In article

This is on a $31,000 car, moron.
but then, I know how much my premium is and what it covers--essentially, I know the details of the product I'm buying and how much I'm paying for it.
Not just "how much are you going to take out of my bank account every month?".
On 06/03/10 06:57, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

But, ... but, ... why would you want to know crap like that? :)

Everyone in this groop is very condescending! You know when someone has English as their second language you can be very rude. Just because i spell bad sometimes and don't always get the grammar right its not that I am stupid! As far as insurance, it depends on the size of the city. Some areas like NYC and Boston have higher premiums because of the crime and population. Also some insurance companies charge more because of the service and quality you get vs. some that don't. I don't appreciate you're ways of treating people.