difficulty pricing my 97 Accord for sale

I have a 97 Accord EX 2-door. 2 years ago the automatic transmission died and I wasn't ready to spend $1500-$2500 on a car that had 270,000 miles. The rest of the car is in good condition and I had an attachment to my Gen-5 Accord, so I decided to keep it in my driveway until I could make a final decision on what to do with it. I start it every month and keep is washed and occasionally wax it. I've decided to finally get rid of it but I don't know what price to ask for or what price to accept. I live in San Francisco bay area and Edmunds pegs the private party value of my as $1400, but that assumes that it has a working automatic transmission and can be driven away the new owner (it needs to be towed away) The rest of the car is in good shape and I have all my service records. Some minor dings, paint flaws, but the interior looks almost new and it has a nice aftermarket alarm and stereo system. I would think it would be a great car for parts or a mechanics special. Is my car worth anything or should I just donate it to a charity? Please help me determine what to price it for.

Reply to
techman41973

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news:dbf777f8- snipped-for-privacy@r35g2000prj.googlegroups.com:

With a blown tranny, you won't get much at all on account of the price of a new tranny. I'd give you $800. Maybe. And only because CA is a low-rust location. And only if no collision damage. But with a discount for the damaged factory wiring (alarm, stereo). On second thought, I'd offer $500.

The problem for you is that Accords are thick on the ground, like leaves in the fall; most buyers will see your failed transmission and look elsewhere. Buyers willing to fix the problem will want the car for free because it's a junker as-is. Tough call for you.

I'd say put 'er up on trader.com for $1,000 and see where it goes. No bites? Lower the price until she sells. If time is more important to you than cash, just donate the thing.

Reply to
Tegger

you live in the bay area and you've not heard of craigslist? you haven't searched for "mechanics specials"? you haven't seen the endless spam from unlicensed dealers saying they'll buy any honda, working or not???

more likely, you just don't want to deal with the price you've already been offered, like trade-in when you bought its replacement. face it dude, unless you fix it, it's not a car, it's a well upholstered chicken coop. give it to the neighbor kid and let them get a used transmission and fix it up. or do it yourself. your local pick-n-pull has them listed for only $130.

Reply to
jim beam

I say go the donation route. Remember, that's a tax deduction. So while it may not mean $$$ in the OPs pocket today, it will be cash saved come April

15th in the form of a bigger refund or smaller amount owed.

I know laws on auto donations have changed but considering the condition it's in he might make out. A $500 sale equivalent to a $1500 write-off. If the write-off is higher than that it's better than what you would theoretically give for the car.

Reply to
Seth

Thus spake jim beam :

Just trade it to one of the "massage therapists". :-)

Two choices. Put in a transmission from a junked Accord (like you said) or turn it into a junked Accord. Honestly, this is one of those "the parts are worth more than the sum total of the parts". Find the right people and you can probably part it out for $300.

I sold a spare set of alloy Civic wheels with R1s (that were no longer legal so they had no value) for $60. I'll bet a scrap yard will pay you $200.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron