Digital Spedometer On 2010 Civic ?

Page 1 of 4
Hello,
Haven't looked at them in showrooms yet, but have pulled up pix from the various web sites.
Thought I was interested in a 2010 Civic.
The first thing that caught my eye was the Spedometer.
Digital ? Are they kidding !
IMHO, the one thing that should always be analog is the Spedometer.
Anyway, am willing to admit that this possibly dates me as old fashioned.
So, let me ask:
- do you folks "like" a digital Spedometer ? - find that it is something you (just) get used to ? Or,...?
Any other 2010's have a digital Spedometer, or is the Civic the only one ? Think this is a trend ?
Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

No, you're just old fashion like me. It's still bugging me to see a mpg digital gage in my 2010 CR-V. What happened to just using your brain for an estimate. I think I like the 60 and 70 era cars better. They were a real car not a living room on wheels. I don't need all the gadgets, I just want to drive a car not live in it (no offense to the homeless).
Bob wrote:

We had an Aerostar van that had a digital speedo. It was very weird at first but we got used to it. I think I prefer analog, tho.

I have an '06 Si. When I bought it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but it works great, is very accurate, it's easy to read, and it doesn't jog up and down the way I expected. I also quickly got used to the placement, and have come to miss it in the Winter when I'm driving my truck.

I'm sure there's plenty of other vehicles out there with digital speedo's. And yes, I'd expect the number will grow.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

I've test-driven the latest-generation Civic Si, and actively disliked the digital speedo. Perhaps I'd feel differently over a longer period of ownership, but I found the placement awkward for someone of my height, and also objected to it being given much more prominence than the tach in a car that's positioned to emphasize performance.
Give me analog gauges any day. The ones in my '00 Si are head and shoulders above the ones in the newer Sis, for my tastes.
Dave

I find the tach nearly useless after a few months of driving a particular car, so I don't mind it being less prominent. Once I get a feel for an engine and get used to the sounds it makes, I hardly ever look to the tach again in normal use.

If all you've done is test drive, then you really never gave them a chance. The speedo being right at eye level is perfect, IMO. It's the one thing that always gets out of control when I drive (speed), and it's nice to have a reminder without actively looking. Since I've never gotten a ticket in the Si, I feel like it makes a difference...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
On 01/28/2010 01:57 PM, Joe wrote:

digital != accurate. accuracy depends on calibration, tire wear, etc. and modern dial gauges are driven by exactly the same integrator as digital.

I didn't say it did. What I DID say, though, was that my digital IS accurate, as tested by me. Repeatedly.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Just curious, how did you test it?
On 01/30/2010 06:25 AM, Guy wrote:

that's easy - simply super-glue a retard to the hood of your honda by the tongue. when he flies off, you know you're doing precisely 72.6 mph - the point at which wind force exceeds bond strength.
look about you guy - if there's anyone approaching with super-glue in their hand, they want you for something...
On 1/30/2010 10:25 AM, Guy wrote:

    I tested mine with the help from friends in both the HRM Police and the RCMP.
Guy wrote:

My old GPS would display a MPH reading and it matched my speedometer in two different vehicles, but my current GPS on my phone does not have this capability.

2 Different GPS' as well as mile markers and time recording. All showed the exact same speed as each other during different tests, so I am confident in the speedo.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Thank you for satisfying my curiousity.
On 01/29/2010 10:51 PM, Joe wrote:

and what i'm saying is that there's no reason it would be any /more/ accurate than a dial gauge, especially not an electronic dial gauge working off the same integrator.
bottom line, lcd displays are cheaper these days. their use is simply about bean counting, not accuracy.

And what I'm saying, again, is that you're arguing against something that nobody said, just to try to sound like the smartest guy in the room, apparently.

Bottom line, LCD displays are bright, easy to read, and easier to place in tight spots. They make sense, once you get past the nostalgia of it all.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
On 01/30/2010 09:57 PM, Joe wrote:

no dude, you said, digital "is very accurate". that is not correct - unless calibrated to a higher degree, it's no more accurate than any other gauge.

"tight spots" on that honking great gap between the steering wheel and windshield? no, lcd's are cheap. and that's it.

No, "dude", I said MY digital is very accurate. That is correct. I claimed no comparison to any other gauge. That is you reading into the statement and trying to make an argument out of it.

Tight spots, as in put it anywhere they want. Just because Honda gave it a large spot doesn't mean that it wouldn't work just as well in a much smaller, tighter one.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
On 02/02/2010 06:17 AM, Joe wrote:

that's not true - by definition, you /are/ comparing it.
> That is you reading into

your "argument" is my pedantry. many people wrongly portray digital as "accurate" when in reality, there's no greater accuracy whatsoever.

just like dial gauges you mean?

what vehicle /doesn't/ have a honking great gap between the steering wheel and the windshield? seriously dude, you're way off base on this one.

That's not true. You can say one thing is accurate without comparing it to another. There's no need for comparison in the original context of the question.

I am not many people, and I made no such statement. It's no wonder that so many people have you in their killfiles. The only real wonder is why I took you out of mine.