Digital Spedometer On 2010 Civic ?

Hello,

Haven't looked at them in showrooms yet, but have pulled up pix from the various web sites.

Thought I was interested in a 2010 Civic.

The first thing that caught my eye was the Spedometer. Digital ? Are they kidding !

IMHO, the one thing that should always be analog is the Spedometer.

Anyway, am willing to admit that this possibly dates me as old fashioned.

So, let me ask:

- do you folks "like" a digital Spedometer ?

- find that it is something you (just) get used to ? Or,...?

Any other 2010's have a digital Spedometer, or is the Civic the only one ? Think this is a trend ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

No, you're just old fashion like me. It's still bugging me to see a mpg digital gage in my 2010 CR-V. What happened to just using your brain for an estimate. I think I like the 60 and 70 era cars better. They were a real car not a living room on wheels. I don't need all the gadgets, I just want to drive a car not live in it (no offense to the homeless).

Reply to
Guy

We had an Aerostar van that had a digital speedo. It was very weird at first but we got used to it. I think I prefer analog, tho.

Reply to
M.M.

I have an '06 Si. When I bought it, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but it works great, is very accurate, it's easy to read, and it doesn't jog up and down the way I expected. I also quickly got used to the placement, and have come to miss it in the Winter when I'm driving my truck.

I'm sure there's plenty of other vehicles out there with digital speedo's. And yes, I'd expect the number will grow.

Reply to
Joe

I have it on my Prius. Took me a day or so to get used to it. Now I don't even notice.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

When my wife bought her Civic, she wasn't too sure about the digital speedo. A few hundred miles later she said that she liked it. Same comments as others: no bounce, easy to adjust to the idea.

Reply to
J.L.Hemmer

I've test-driven the latest-generation Civic Si, and actively disliked the digital speedo. Perhaps I'd feel differently over a longer period of ownership, but I found the placement awkward for someone of my height, and also objected to it being given much more prominence than the tach in a car that's positioned to emphasize performance.

Give me analog gauges any day. The ones in my '00 Si are head and shoulders above the ones in the newer Sis, for my tastes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

I have a 2009 Civic Si. Civics have had the digital speedometer since

2007 IIRC. I kind of like it, but I wish they would swap position with the tachometer, at least on the Si. I am always hitting that 8500 rpm rev limiter :]

What I like about this car:

Engine - makes the old 94 GS-R 1.8 seem like a tractor engine. Comfort - seems pretty luxurious after the Integra Styling - not too boy-racer, not too bland. (mine is black) Stereo - great sound and ipod ready

What I don't like:

Handling. It is certainly better than most cars on the road, but nothing like the GS-R. I don't know if this is the missing double wishbone or the car is just too high off the ground.

Can't shut off A/C in defrost mode. What were they thinking?

Mediocre radio reception with hidden antennae

Fuel economy about 20 mpg driven pretty hard in the city and with 10% ethanol fuel. The GS-R got about three more mpg.

Overall I would have preferred to wait for the new CR-X hybrid, but someone stole my GS-R so I had to buy this year. (I probably would have kept driving the GS-R until I could buy the CRX used if I liked it.)

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I find the tach nearly useless after a few months of driving a particular car, so I don't mind it being less prominent. Once I get a feel for an engine and get used to the sounds it makes, I hardly ever look to the tach again in normal use.

If all you've done is test drive, then you really never gave them a chance. The speedo being right at eye level is perfect, IMO. It's the one thing that always gets out of control when I drive (speed), and it's nice to have a reminder without actively looking. Since I've never gotten a ticket in the Si, I feel like it makes a difference...

Reply to
Joe

I would like to see cruise control being able to dial in the exact speed I want, that would be simpler to do with a digital view.

On a side note, a friend I worked with ten some odd years ago had a GM product that had a HUD on the windshield, it was digital and rather nice once you became used to looking through the speedometer's readout at what was outside the vehicle.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I have had my 2007 for nearly 3 years now, I love the digital display, I also like the digital mpg, gas & temp displays, it is so much easier to read than analogue I know I am going 35 not somewhere between 35-40, cuts down on my speeding too....40 is 40 not somewhere near that and being high on the dash you are aware of it....someone else said it too, on the few rare times I drive my truck, the analogue spedo is hard to read and I find myself driving much faster. That said, to each their own...I just wonder if you are pre disposed to not liking it because it all looks so different....IMO normal is overrated.

Reply to
Justbob30

Yes, your Civic has MacPherson struts in the front, first introduced on the

7th-gen Civic for 2001. I believe the Accord still has a double-wishbone setup in its front.
Reply to
Eternal Searcher

digital != accurate. accuracy depends on calibration, tire wear, etc. and modern dial gauges are driven by exactly the same integrator as digital.

Reply to
jim beam

I didn't say it did. What I DID say, though, was that my digital IS accurate, as tested by me. Repeatedly.

Reply to
Joe

Oh, that would be just "ducky". A large portion of the vehicle operators these days can't even concentrate on their operation at all, let alone with cell phones, iPods, iTouch, iWhateverelse and you want them to have a HUD in their vehicle, eh. Disaster looking for a place to happen!!!!!

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

On 1/30/2010 4:17 AM, Dave D wrote: >

It's unfortunate that you incorrectly translated what I said into what you wrote above. I believe that by your tone you are one of the many that find the attention level required to control a vehicle too far beyond your capabilities. Better take the bus, Dave. :^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Dave D" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.acsalaska.net:

It's still better than them having their heads(and attention) down in the instrument cluster.Fighter pilots learned that long ago. you could put the HUD display off to one side,not directly in front of the driver's forward view.

The biggest problem with drivers is that their minds are not on the subject of DRIVING,but on other things. To them,driving is the -secondary- task.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Just curious, how did you test it?

Reply to
Guy

and what i'm saying is that there's no reason it would be any /more/ accurate than a dial gauge, especially not an electronic dial gauge working off the same integrator.

bottom line, lcd displays are cheaper these days. their use is simply about bean counting, not accuracy.

Reply to
jim beam

that's easy - simply super-glue a retard to the hood of your honda by the tongue. when he flies off, you know you're doing precisely 72.6 mph

- the point at which wind force exceeds bond strength.

look about you guy - if there's anyone approaching with super-glue in their hand, they want you for something...

Reply to
jim beam