Digital Spedometer On 2010 Civic ?

Page 2 of 4
wrote:

I'm with you Joe about Jim Beam. He at times shows knowledge but his personality gets in the way of that knowledge and often lessens the value of many of his posts. Too often he resorts to name calling just because someone doesn't see it his way. Normally I'd call this immature but in his case, I think his problem is something else just not sure what that is.
On 02/02/2010 11:13 PM, Guy wrote:

behold, the retard tries to disassociate himself from reality. pointing out that you are a retard is not "name calling", retard, it's simply a reflection of fact.

yeah, i have a problem alright - i just can't resist confronting retards with their reality. see above, retard.

Just as I predicted.
On 02/03/2010 06:49 AM, Guy wrote:

"predicted"??? you didn't "predict" anything, retard.

I didn't expect you to understand nor will I bother to explain it to a person of your limitations.
On 02/04/2010 07:04 PM, Guy wrote:

"bother to explain"??? you couldn't "explain" your way out of a wet paper bag, retard.

LOL
On 02/02/2010 09:07 PM, Joe wrote:

then either post to a different thread or be more "accurate" about what you're trying to say - this whole thread is a comparison, hence the above comment.

see above. your first post expressed enthusiasm for digital, with your reason being accuracy. if you just like digital, that's fine. if you appreciate accuracy, that's great too - i know i do. but they are not synonymous - as is conveyed when you try to reason one because of the other, which is exactly what you did..

my, you must live in a cotton-wool ball if you don't like minor bumps. how do you hold down a job where management confronts you with reality about /real/ things like "performance" and "pay"?

You might want to re-read THIS thread. The question had nothing to do with a comparison, the guy just asked if people liked the digital in the civic.

My first response expressed enthusiasm for the digital in my car, and made no comparison to any other. The only mention of Analog was in the fact that I like the placement of the digital in the Civic better than I like the placement of the analog in my Dodge truck, and never mentioned accuracy, one way or the other, of the analog.

Management has never confronted me. I can't remember a single time where my annual performance reviews were not stellar, and my pay raise wasn't in line with that.
Perhaps your experience in that field further explains your piss poor attitude and demeanor, and might be explained by your outrageous pedantry. Not a further problem here, though, you are back where you belong...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
On 02/03/2010 06:35 AM, Joe wrote:

<ACUTE_PEDANTRY> you said: "I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but it works great, is very accurate"
that is a direct comparison between the dial gauge that you used previously, and digital. and you use the rationale of accuracy for "working great".
it seems you didn't intend to mean that, but that is what your words convey. and i'm not contesting your taste, but i am contesting the rationale that "digital" is "accurate" because those are /not/ synonymous.

untrue - you were comparing to to what you were used to previously.

but you did the digital, and with the above comparison, you absolutely /do/ make the inference that digital is accurate.

really??? and "stellar" performance means what exactly? annual pay raises of 10%? 30%? 100%? compounded, how many years did it take you to reach your current $1,000,000 p.a?

get over it. pedants make cars work, planes fly, computers compute, and people who can't cook get out of the kitchen.

price of an almost identical model but without calibration, it shows quite plainly that calibration IS a requiremet for digital readouts or they are as imprecise as analogue ones
--
Clive

Do you find that it takes longer to process the speed reading? The major advantage of analog is you only need to see the needle and know where it is in relationship to where it "should" be or where you "expected" it to be.
Way back in the olden days, guys used to line their tach up so the theoretical shift point (2 rpm below redline) was vertical. Some road racers would put a piece of tape at the rough downshift point. Now it's all a bunch of little dots.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

Not at all. It's smooth, but reads where I'd expect it to. I've never had the feeling that it was behind at all.

When accelerating hard like that, I don't like to rely on a gauge at all. I hardly ever look at them during hard accel or decel. It takes a few months with a new car, but you eventually get to the point where you feel and hear the shiftpoints, IMO.
The light on the Si is pretty well-behaved and useful, too. It comes on at 8000 RPM, with an 8500 RPM Redline. I can remember a lot of cars in the 80's and 90's that had the light come on more as an economy thing, popping on when you were nowhere near the redline. Those were useless.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Not the gauge, you. Ergonomics testing for many years has shown that an analog "anything" is usually faster to read as it's a relative thing rather than a computational process

I was talking about (obviously not clearly enough) drag racing. In a 400 bhp car with absolutely no sound containment, you can't hear the shift point. And when you're winding to within an inch of its life, an "educated guess" doesn't work.

Unless it's a very seriously tuned indicator, a shift light isn't really worth much. If you watch the incar in couple of weeks from Bahrain in a couple of weeks, you'll see that the shift lights are a progess bar of three or four greens, a couple of yellows, a blue and a red. Shift on the blue. Down shift on the second green. Or course, the wheel is worth more than your car(s) and my car(s) combined.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

I have it on my Prius. Took me a day or so to get used to it. Now I don't even notice.

When my wife bought her Civic, she wasn't too sure about the digital speedo. A few hundred miles later she said that she liked it. Same comments as others: no bounce, easy to adjust to the idea.

I have a 2009 Civic Si. Civics have had the digital speedometer since 2007 IIRC. I kind of like it, but I wish they would swap position with the tachometer, at least on the Si. I am always hitting that 8500 rpm rev limiter :]
What I like about this car:
Engine - makes the old 94 GS-R 1.8 seem like a tractor engine. Comfort - seems pretty luxurious after the Integra Styling - not too boy-racer, not too bland. (mine is black) Stereo - great sound and ipod ready
What I don't like:
Handling. It is certainly better than most cars on the road, but nothing like the GS-R. I don't know if this is the missing double wishbone or the car is just too high off the ground.
Can't shut off A/C in defrost mode. What were they thinking?
Mediocre radio reception with hidden antennae
Fuel economy about 20 mpg driven pretty hard in the city and with 10% ethanol fuel. The GS-R got about three more mpg.
Overall I would have preferred to wait for the new CR-X hybrid, but someone stole my GS-R so I had to buy this year. (I probably would have kept driving the GS-R until I could buy the CRX used if I liked it.)
Gordon McGrew wrote:

Yes, your Civic has MacPherson struts in the front, first introduced on the 7th-gen Civic for 2001. I believe the Accord still has a double-wishbone setup in its front.
On 1/28/2010 5:06 PM, Bob wrote:

    I would like to see cruise control being able to dial in the exact speed I want, that would be simpler to do with a digital view.
    On a side note, a friend I worked with ten some odd years ago had a GM product that had a HUD on the windshield, it was digital and rather nice once you became used to looking through the speedometer's readout at what was outside the vehicle.

these days can't even concentrate on their operation at all, let alone with cell phones, iPods, iTouch, iWhateverelse and you want them to have a HUD in their vehicle, eh. Disaster looking for a place to happen!!!!!
DaveD