Dimmer Switch Replacement

I have a 1988 LXi. The low beam lights do not work but the high beam lights do. I have replaced the bulbs and have been told that I need to replace the dimmer
switch located on the steering column. Is this the problem and how do I replace it? James
--
jtfraz

jtfraz wrote:

Have you checked the fuses? I may be wrong, but I think the high and low beams have separate fuses.
I can't find the fuse for this on the wiring diagrams (see www.autozone.com 's free repair guides), but it might be there.
Instructions for removing the switch appear at www.autozone.com 's free repair guides, too. It looks pretty easy. Go to Chassis Electrical, Instrument Switches, etc.

jtfraz wrote:

do. I have replaced the bulbs and have been told that I need to replace the dimmer switch located on the steering column. Is this the problem and how do I replace it?

Check also the connectors . . They get very loose because people don't realize the 'trick' to getting them off, so the brass lugs get bent really loose from being torqued all over the place, then overheat and you get an open circuit on the Lo Beams, You can sometimes snap the plastic socket off, rebend the lugs, reassemble the socket and be good to go.
'Curly'
'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

do. I have replaced the bulbs and have been told that I need to replace the dimmer switch located on the steering column. Is this the problem and how do I replace it?

so, what /is/ this trick?

jim beam wrote:

(on our '95 Odyssey) there were 'dots' on either side of the headlight connector, where you squeeze to release the gripper that's holding the socket on to the holes on the bulb's lugs. They are (very) hard to release, but apparently that's the way Honda wanted to keep the connector 'anchored' on the bulb. I don't know what other models / years this trick applies to.
Aside from that, any connector that's been yanked around can start to fit loose, and if it's a high current connection, it will get HOT and burn up. With fuse boxes, it will blow the fuse repeatedly because the fuse gets too hot to carry the right load.
'Curly'