Disconnect Battery to Charge?

The missus left the dome lights on overnight and the battery is low on her 2010 CR-V.
I've got a battery charger-- but can I just hook up the charger to the
battery-- or do I need to remove the cables from one or both terminals?
On 7/2/11 5:24 PM, Pug wrote:

Ah yes, RTFM: "Disconnect positive and negative cables before using battery charger."

You don't really need to do that. You DO have to mind polarity when connecting!!! and you might try connecting the charger -before- plugging it in to the AC line,to avoid making sparks.
after all,when jumpstarting,you leave the battery connected to the system.
Also,if you disconnect the battery,you lose radio presets,so make sure you have the security code,or buy one of those adapters that maintain memory,and the ECU will take some time relearning it's settings.
If your cig lighter outlet shuts off when the car is off,then the adapter will not maintain the settings.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik