Disconnect Battery to Charge?

The missus left the dome lights on overnight and the battery is low on her 2010 CR-V.

I've got a battery charger-- but can I just hook up the charger to the battery-- or do I need to remove the cables from one or both terminals?

Reply to
Pug

Ah yes, RTFM: "Disconnect positive and negative cables before using battery charger."

Reply to
Pug

Pug wrote in news:iuo761$tn2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

You don't really need to do that. You DO have to mind polarity when connecting!!! and you might try connecting the charger -before- plugging it in to the AC line,to avoid making sparks.

after all,when jumpstarting,you leave the battery connected to the system.

Also,if you disconnect the battery,you lose radio presets,so make sure you have the security code,or buy one of those adapters that maintain memory,and the ECU will take some time relearning it's settings.

If your cig lighter outlet shuts off when the car is off,then the adapter will not maintain the settings.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot Touring, and my son spent some time programming t= he thing, so much so that the battery gave out. We have the service and he= came and hooked it up (did not disconnect anything, but that was "jumping"= not a charger) and it started right away. He said that a lot of new cars = sit on the delivery lot for so long that they don't get a proper charge, bu= t there has been no problems since. I used to know cars, and had battery c= hargers, but gave them away in many moves. Anyway I went down to the local= parts store and was amazed at the computer-controlled chargers that now as= sess the battery, deliver only the charge needed, shut off when not needed,= etc. More than I ever knew existed. Anyway, the one I purchased said noth= ing about disconnecting, and I used it on a GEO Tracker that sat for six mo= nths without use, and it seemed to read the battery, charged without incide= nt, display lights went on and off, and the next morning it was good. So m= aybe a new generation charger? Price seemed reasonable.

Reply to
billzz