Do I really need new timing belt on '03 TL w/ only 23.8K miles??

Page 5 of 5
On 06/07/2012 09:59 AM, C. E. White wrote:

the inconsistency between recommending stuff that easy to do but unnecessary, and the stuff that's necessary but hard.

you're right on this - some vehicle oem equipment is indeed utter garbage and it doesn't last. [frod is a perfect example, but they're far from unique.] in that case, i would definitely recommend replacement as a matter of course. as i would if inferior aftermarket components have been used on a honda. but in this case, we're talking oem on a honda/acura, and oem quality is excellent.

you're lucky they've got 2 quarts. i was driving a girlfriend's lexus one time and the oil light kept blinking. "oh, it always does that" she says, "just ignore it". but i pull in to a gas station and check the oil. nothing on the stick, so i buy a couple of quarts and put them in. nothing. a couple more, just touching the bottom of the stick, not the minimum mark. it took nearly 2 more quarts to get that thing back to full - she'd run it almost bone dry.
but she could suck a golf ball through 30' of garden hose, so what did i care?

--
fact check required

On 6/7/2012 9:44 PM, jim beam wrote:

Oh, so that's why my dealer suggested wheel alignment every time I took my car in? I never needed one since I quit going to the dealer.
On 06/08/2012 12:54 AM, cameo wrote:

it needs "checking" periodically, true, but the check is a visual one and a problem is self-evident. just like an oil leak. you certainly don't need to put it on a machine and charge the customer for it if there's no evidence it's needed.
--
fact check required

On 6/8/2012 8:33 AM, jim beam wrote:

But they did. Well, if you believe the charges.
On 06/08/2012 11:09 AM, cameo wrote:

well, you're talking to the "business". i'm talking to the technical necessity.
--
fact check required

Do Honda dealerships also service Acuras? Is there a reason an Acura timing belt replacement would cost more than double a Honda timing belt replacement service, or are they essentially the same thing?
I did call that particular Honda and they would perform the service on my Acura. However, my local Honda dealer does not perform service on Acura , and they get around $700 for the timing belt service.
On 6/7/12 12:45 AM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:
in

North Jersey cost? Hell, car dealers have to pay union scale and the mob shakes them down for protection money and exorbitant trash hauling fees on top of that!
For crying out loud, your government and the gas station lobby prevents y'all from pumping your own gas at a convenience store to keep the price of gas high.
Get in your car and drive south until you're several hundred miles from the nearest union goons and mobsters. Pull into the first Honda dealer you see and get you belt changed for a hell of a lot less. Go get some grits and BBQ while you're waiting for your car. Take the family with you for a nice little mini-vacation
Perhaps you're onto something about excessive governement fees/taxes, and unions, etc, with regard to high North Jersey repair prices. However, I'm not sure how to prove either way that a mob shakedown is happening as well.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...
> Do I REALLY need to have this done on a car with only > 23,800 miles on it (even though the manual does say it > should be done every 7 years regardless of the mileage) > or should I wait? If so, then when should I get it > done? Let me know what you recommend.
The guy who runs the local independent Honda/Acura repair shop in my town says the timing belt life is overwhelmingly a question of mileage, not time. So, per his suggestion, I drove my 94 Accord until 2011 without changing the belt at all. It died in a traffic accident (nobody hurt) with about 70k miles on it, with the original belt and water pump still working fine.
I think he's very likely right about that, but on the other hand, neither he nor I will reimburse you if he's wrong.
The other factor is that when you go to sell the car, the cost of the timing belt replacement will be a hit to the price you get if belt replacement is due per the manual. So if you're going to sell it within the next five years or so, you might as well go ahead and do the belt now and not take any risk.
But if you're going to drive it till it dies, maybe every 14 years would be a reasonable period so long as the mileage isn't exceeded.
I just think it's EXTREMELY unlikely that you need a timing belt at 23,800 miles. The manual says 7 years only because it assumes 15,000 miles per year. There is no column for other assumptions.