Does this make sense?

I took my 97 Accord in to a Honda dealer for maintenance today. They just called and said they found out that the cover to something (I forgot what) was leaking oil onto the spark plugs and spark plug wires. They said that my car has an extended emissions warranty, but technically it does not cover the spark plugs and wires, but that they could fit it under that warranty anyways. So I would only have to pay for the cost to fix the cover that was leaking oil, which would be around $100. They said if I didn't want to the put the spark plugs and wires under the extended emissions warranty, then it would cost me an additional $400. Of course I told them to go ahead and fix it under the warranty.

But I'm a little confused as to why they would want to put it under the warranty, when it technically isn't covered by it? Doesn't that mean they eat the cost? Why would they eat the cost when they could just charge me for it? Since when do these people actually do something to help out the consumer?

Reply to
accord_owner

It means they get to bill the warranty department at full book value as opposed to having you haggle with them to knock the price down, or refuse to have the work done making them ZERO money.

Reply to
Seth

Most likely valve cover leak.

Reply to
Art

honda eats the cost and reimburses the dealer. the dealer figured if YOU had to pay for it, you might say no. the dealer doesnt give a rats ass one way or another how they get their money, as long as they get it.

Reply to
SoCalMike