door lock remote doesn't work after stereo upgrade

After upgrading the stereo system in our 97 Civic HX, the remote door lock control will not work. There was two parts to the original stereo system. One was up by the heater controls and the CD player was down by the cup holder. I have checked the fuses, under the dash, but they are all okay. Any reason why this would happen? Any suggestions on what to check? Everything worked before the install so I'm a little lost right now.

Reply to
MinnesotaMike

In certain model years of Honda Civics, Accords, and Preludes, the keyless entry was tied into the Stereo head unit. The easiest solution was to keep factory stereo in the dash and mount the new head unit in it's place. I think there is a box you can buy to "act" like the old head unit, and still use the harness for the speakers.

Check with your dealer to be sure.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

In the 1996 - 1998 Civic, the receiver for the keyless remote was integrated into the factory stereo. If you replace your stereo with an identical Honda unit, you will have to reprogram it to match your keys, if you replace it with an after-market unit (or a Honda unit that does not have the receiver in it) your keyless remote will not work. Your dome light probably stopped coming on when you open the doors? It is wired through the stereo as well.

There are several work around:

  1. You can wire the new and the old stereo up at the same time and hide the factory stereo behind the dash / center console (yes, it will fit!). See
    (leads to
    If youdo this, the factory stereo gets all connections except the speakerwires, the new stereo gets all the wires except the keyless entry wires.Do a search for "Civic Relocation harness" and you will findready made harnesses that will allow you to do this. I know Scoschemakes them. Remember to keep the front panel from the factory stereo;You will need it if you ever need to reprogram the keyless entryreceiver.
  2. You can install a new after market keyless entry system like
    (Part number 330-145 from
    This is a complete keyless entry systemfor . You will have to use the new key chain transmitters that comewith the unit, the original Honda key fobs will not work (try it anyway,there is a small chance you can program the BW850 unit to receive theHonda keyfob signal). This systemdoes everything the original factory system does, including priorityunlock (driver's door only on first press, all doors on second press,feature can be programmed on or off) and dome light control (need anadditional relay, e.g.
    at .19). It is easy toinstall, as all the wires you need are available on the plug that wentinto the factory stereo. If you go this route, post a real e-mailaddress, and I can send you a wiring diagram. I have installed two ofthese before.

======================================================= A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:

Randolph

Randolph,

Thanks so much for the link! It's just what I needed. I will probably keep the original radio for now. It really seems strange that the remote is tied into the radio. I'll let you know if I decide to go with the aftermarket keyless entry. Thanks again for all your help!

Mike

Reply to
MinnesotaMike

"MinnesotaMike" wrote: > Randolph, > > Thanks so much for the link! It's just what I needed. I > will probably > keep the original radio for now. It really seems strange that > the > remote is tied into the radio. I'll let you know if I decide > to go with > the aftermarket keyless entry. > Thanks again for all your help! > > Mike

Hi there, maybe you can help me figure out what?s going on in my situation: I bought a used 97 civic LX with an aftermarket stereo. Then bought a stereo from a 96 LX and the Y-harness to supply power to the Honda stereo and the aftermarket one. Plugged in power harness and the green "keyless/security" harness into the Honda stereo. Dome light function is restored, but when i go to program the keyless remote and press the "valet" button, nothing happens (the instructions say that the locks should "cycle"). Is there any way you know of to test the output of the Honda radio, or the wires to see if the green harness got messed up somehow or if the radio just isn?t working? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the keyless entry connector (green 16-pin) or the radio?

THanks, m

Reply to
meitzner