Drivers seat has play in it, and moves while driving. Honda will NOT repair

Hello all.

I've noticed some discussion on this topic, but it seems to have been a bit dated.

I have a 2004 Accord EX coupe V6MT. I previously owned a 2003 Accord EX coupe V6Auto.

In both cars I have experienced a problem with the drivers seat moving ever so slightly while stopping, starting, or turning. I traded in my

2003 Accord, because Honda did not want to fix the seat, so i figured, I'd get a new one and all would be fine. This was not the case.

I have taken my Honda Accord to 3 different dealers. Mahway, NJ; Paramus, NJ; and Nanuet, NY. All three have told me that the drivers seat moving is "Normal Operation". Basically, the service technician at the Nanuet, NY service department told me that if he swaped out the seat rails, that the parts would cost $1,000 and labor would be 6 hours. He also mentioned that the dealership would probably not recoup the money because Honda does not recognized the problem with the seat rails.

I also had previously contacted Honda of America and talked to customer service representitive. He was very unhelpful, and told me that he couldn't find anything in his system on this subject. He also asked me if I "TEST DROVE" the car. I said, of course i test drove it, but the seat in that car didn't move when i drove.

To me, this is not only a quality control issue, but a saftey issue.

At this point, i will most likely be selling or trading in my Accord for a better built Toyota or Nissan. It's unfortunate that a car that would be fun to drive, becomes something I dread on getting into everyday.

If anyone is willing to sign and send a peition together please let me know. I'd be willing to put a petition and a letter together.

Reply to
kirk.malajian

Toyota has had some quality issues too. And Nissan is even worse.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I had this in a 91 Taurus. It was replaced several times before I gave up. My current Hondas don't do this. My chrysler 300M did slightly. Don't remember whether my Avalon did. Basically I think it is a function of plastic gears used in power seat mechanisms and slight slop that develops.

Reply to
Art

It's just a little play in the track. What makes you think it is a safety issue? Mine's been exactly the same for 168,000 miles and has not gotten any worse.

Reply to
Seth

--------------------------------------

Here's a TSB about the Civic having a similar problem . . . . Shame to throw out the whole car for such a simple problem . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

My 1994 Toyota Celica does the same thing. It moves just a little forwards and backwards. Maybe a few mm or so. Never thought of it as a safety issue, though. Sometimes if I adjust my seat, the first stop I come to the seat moves a half inch or so and locks in place. But it still has that few mm of play in it.

Reply to
edavid3001

My 97 Camry with power seats did the same thing. It bothered me so much I gave the car to my wife to drive. (I bought a 98 accord) It didnt bother her. Then she was rear ended on the highway. Some rear end damagen minor injury to my wife. The seat motor made a grinding sound now.. The repair guy said it was normal untill I showed him that the passenger side did not make the noise. He called the insurance adjuster out and they repaired the drivers seat. Not sure what they did but it fixed the problem.

I found the movement to be very annoying every time I started and stopped I would feel the seat move slightly....

I wouldnt recomend going out and getting rear ended but it did fix the problem with my seat..

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

did you know that some individuals get paid to spread fud [fear, uncertainty, doubt] like this? something to do with "competition" apparently. now remind me, how do i sign up for an internet email account and become a first time poster???

Reply to
jim beam

I had this problem on my '03 and the dealer eventually fixed it by replacing the seat track. I had to be persistent, but they finally sorted it out.

John

Reply to
John Horner

kirk,

If the power seat mechanism was a tight as you think it should be. The electric motors would have to be as big as starter motors to get the job done.

If a little play in the seat track is such a life altering problem, you're a lucky man.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

-- Tp,

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

It a little play in the seat track is such a life altering problem, he's a very disturbed man.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Kirk,

don't listen to those he think it's nothing. What you describe is one of the most annoying little things you can experience in a car just because it is such a tiny thing and you can't get anyone to fix it.

Norm