E85 - oops!

We own a new 2005 Odyssey van. We accidentally filled the tank with E85 (85% ethanol) last night. Well, not really accidentally. We thought we read that the engine could use it when we were shopping for the car, but
realize we must have been mistaken. We only ran 18 miles on it, and it ran fine, but we don't want to risk the engine and don't want to void the warranty.
Questions:
After 18 miles, do you think any damage could have already been done?
We are going to have a local mechanic tow it and siphen out the gas. Assuming there is no permanent damage is there any way the dealer would know we used it and thus void our warranty?
Help, we are worried?
LT

issues with E-85 involve the fuel system - synthetic parts that are made for gasoline may have limited tolerance for that level of ethanol, but since 15% ethanol is common (and I believe the Oddy allows that) that isn't a big issue. If you ran E-85 over a period of a month I'd have more concerns.
BTW - the "check engine" light may come on when you switch back to normal gasoline, as a result of the ECU getting frustrated with the changes in fuel characteristics (the usual trouble code text is "fuel trim"). Either have the mechanic clear the code or drive a week or so until the light goes out on its own... although that second method may be more wear and tear on your nerves than you want to go through at the moment!
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

I agree, have the E85 drained or siphoned off and then have the ECU reset.
Eric
Thanks, guys, for putting our minds at ease, and for sparing the time to give us the advice. We will have have the mechanic siphon the tank and reset the code if needed
LT
Eric wrote:

============================== Eric, you're missing the point . . . .
E85 is 85% GASOLINE, and 15% Ethanol. The OP is totally confused. Canadians use Gasohol a lot, but it's not quite as high as 15%, I'm sure. It's not like it's going to be in the system for a year. Diluting it ONCE would get it below 10%.
Question arises again . . .What does the MANUAL say???
'Curly'

Nope. Other way around. http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php
Steve Bigelow wrote:

============================= Bad mistake on my part . . Terribly sorry. :-(
Thanks for the link.
'Curly'

I made the same mistake in thinking it was 85%G:15%E,found some websites to verify it was the opposite.
It even makes sense,else why say *E* 85?? (smacking forehead;DUH)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think it's the other way around: http://www.ethanol.org /
Mike

My link missed by a bit: http://www.ethanol.org/e85.html is more to the point.
Mike <8^P
bltravis wrote:

------------------------------
Your manual says you can use up to x% ethanol, right? What does it say?
My CR-V will take up to 10%, so if you top up the tank again with 'normal' gas, and then use up 1/4 tank and refill again, you'll be OK. Read the manual about 'topping up', and don't overdo it, since you can cause other problems, and a fire hazzard. Keep the Ownaer's manual in the bathroom, so you can all study it.
'Curly'
Hey everyone, Yes I did read the manual, actually twice now. However while
reading material when I first got the van I read somewhere we could handle
it. Of course can't find anything saying it now. Who knows maybe I dreamed
it all up. ANYWAY.
Just got my van back today after it was towed, and drained, and it is
running just fine. The only thing my mechanic said was he had another guy
do the same thing but ran his Tahoe longer than my 18 miles, and a month
later his fuel pump went out.
So all in all we are good to go for now. Will watch for any signs of the
fuel pump, and never again no matter if we get a car that can definitely
handle E85 I will never use it.
It is this simple why didn't they just make the nozzles bigger than unleaded
nozzles so they wouldn't fit in cars that couldn't handle them. That is the
same way the old Regular was. Sounds easy to me, but what do I know I am
just the crazy lady who put the wrong gas in.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.
Becky Travis.
-- Becky Travis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
http://btravis.womenwithdreams.com Taking Women with Dreams to New Extremes!
face=Arial>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial>&gt; bltravis wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; We own a new 2005 Odyssey van.&nbsp; We accidentally filled the tank with E85<BR>&gt;&gt; (85% ethanol) last night.&nbsp; Well, not really accidentally.&nbsp; We thought we<BR>&gt;&gt; read that the engine could use it when we were shopping for the car, but<BR>&gt;&gt; realize we must have been mistaken.&nbsp; We only ran 18 miles on it, and it ran<BR>&gt;&gt; fine, but we don't want to risk the engine and don't want to void the<BR>&gt;&gt; warranty.<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Questions:<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; After 18 miles, do you think any damage could have already been done?<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; We are going to have a local mechanic tow it and siphen out the gas.<BR>&gt;&gt; Assuming there is no permanent damage is there any way the dealer would know<BR>&gt;&gt; we used it and thus void our warranty?<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Help, we are worried?<BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; LT<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ------------------------------<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Your manual says you can use up to x% ethanol, right? What does it say? <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My CR-V will take up to 10%, so if you top up the tank again with<BR>&gt; 'normal' gas, and then use up 1/4 tank and refill again, you'll be OK.<BR>&gt; Read the manual about 'topping up', and don't overdo it, since you can<BR>&gt; cause other problems, and a fire hazzard. Keep the Ownaer's manual in<BR>&gt; the bathroom, so you can all study it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 'Curly'</FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=