Easy question on 2003 Accord air filter

While struggling to keep my 99 Accord on the road (192,000 miles and climbing) I have become pretty familiar with it, but so far with my 2003 Accord all I've had to do is change the oil.

I just tried to replace the air cleaner element and found the designers have replaced the steel hold-down clips with screws. So I removed them and then tried to maneuver the cover off to expose the filter but could not. All right, I need a book for the "new" car and will get one. But in the meantime, while replacing the four screws on the air cleaner, I dropped one and lost it somewhere in the engine compartment.

Can anyone tell me what screw to use as a replacement? I've gone crazy searching for that little sucker. Thanks as always to this generous group for all the help.

Reply to
John Smith

-------------------

When that happened to me recently, I smacked the underside of that plastic 'guard' that's under the radiator and the screw jumped out. www.slhondaparts has diagrams and part numbers for everything.

has the service manual you need.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Look at one of the three remaining and go buy another?

Reply to
Piso Mojado

On 3/28/2008 10:27 AM Piso Mojado spake these words of knowledge:

Nah, they're not the same length.

John, look at the illustration Curly pointed you to. If that doesn't get it, I'll get my Helm's (I also have a 2003 Accord) and will find it.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Woody

Last year I did exactly like you. I cleaned my filter and dropped the bolt when putting it back together. I couldn't find the orig. bolt either so before finally going to the dealer for the new bolt, I called my repair shop. They told me their mechanic did the same thing the day before and didn't know the size. Hence I went to the dealer for the new bolt. I don't recall the size now and I think I paid about $2 but I had to travel almost 1 hour round trip so the new bolt was expensive. I learned from that experience and later the same year chose to replace the filter (wish I did that to begin with instead of cleaning the filter) and decided to let my mechanic do it instead. Afterwards I checked for missing bolts and all was fine. Unless they sell a special tool, I think you need very nimble fingers for this job.

Reply to
observer