EGR System on Odysseys

Just received an extension on my '00 Odyssey for EGR System Clogging/EGR Valve Contamination for up to 8 years/80,000 miles. My Odyssey has 70,000 miles and I am wondering if this system problem is occuring with regularity among you folks. Have been told that they will not do anything unless the engine malfunction comes on and stays on. Would appreciate any assistance on how to get this taken care of even though it has not become a problem to date. Ron

Reply to
Phyl/Ron Johnson

I've not received anything yet.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Go to

and search the forum for EGR. There is tons of information. The EGR problem usually starts up with erratic engine trying to maintain 40-50 mph under light load. There is also a TSL on your Ody to insert a sleeve in the port to stop the buildup. All covered in the above forum....

Reply to
Woody

I had a problem with the EGR valve on my '01 Odyssey last fall (rough running, Check Engine light, TCS light). Took it to the dealer, who told me the valve was defective (not just clogged). They wanted to charge me about $250 to replace it, but I asked my service advisor (nicely) if there was something they could do about that price, given that this was a known issue with the valve. I was told that my van wasn't one of those included in the then-current TSB (based on VIN), but the dealership agreed to replace the valve for free as a goodwill gesture. This was before the warranty extension came out (I have since received notification of the extension in the mail).

I believed at the time, and still do, that this was one of those "secret warranty" deals under which a manufacturer fixes a problem at a consumer's request, without actually coming out and admitting any real responsibility. Whatever the case, it got fixed and didn't cost me.

If you're not having any problems, don't worry about it. But if and when you do, I would politely but firmly insist that Honda take care of it, and pursue it up the line if the dealer refuses.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Bob Palmer

It may not be.

Many people don't realize that Honda gives every dealer some dollars to work with every month, to take care of stupid things that shouldn't have happened. For example, a few months ago I got a new idle air control valve in my 02 Odyssey--at 35K miles and 42 months.

Why? Because I'm a helluva good customer for this dealership, that's why. The service manager had no problem using those Honda dollars to pay for this repair; he had no problem justifying it to Honda should they ask.

These service dollars are doled out by the service manager working in conjunction with the factory rep.

You might have gotten in on something like that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I called the Honda Dealership and talked to a service advisor after learning the service manager was out for the rest of the day. The advisor said that unless the engine light was on, or the engine was running roughly, they couldn't do anything. So, the next morning I called the service Manager who took my VIN on the van and he said, bring it in and we will change it out. No questions, no problem. I have found that the service managers do a lot of things for "good will" and it works for me as we will continue to buy Honda. Thanks to all of you for your imput on this subject. Ron

Reply to
Phyl/Ron Johnson

Actually it is a TSL on 99 and 00 Odyssey that Honda covers. They drill out the pores and insert a tube to hopefully keep it from building up in the future. They have also extended the EGR warranty for all 99-03 Ody's because of lots of problems...

Reply to
Woody

I received the same letter and got the valve changed out. I had the jerky acceleration cited in the letter but I decided to live with it until I received the info on the letter. I never had the engine light come on but replacing the valve got rid of my acceleration problem. No charge from the dealer. Strange it wasn't a recall.

I have a 2002 Odyssey.

Reply to
Fred

My 2000 never had any symptoms but the check engine light came on with an EGR flow code. It had 82K miles on it. Honda and the dealer were very responsive and did it at N/C when I asked for an accomodation.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet