emergency, no turning signals, gas, temp, all not working

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to look at one of my questions, you guys are always so helpful, so once again I have another problem.

Today after starting my car from college I noticed that my odometer, speedometer, turning signal lights, temperature, and the clock did not work. I looked at the fusebox under the hood and did not see anything burnt out, and also inside the car, and still could not find one.

I have a 1993 Honda Civic LX (Manual) and noticed that there are 3 fuses missing under the dash. Everything was working before, until. I am scared because I cannot use my turning signals, have no idea about my speed, and cannot figure how much gas I have. I just filled up, but cannot even determ by the mileage, as it the car won't even turn the mileage.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks a million! John

Reply to
mopa

"mopa" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

There should be three empty slots, yes. That's normal.

Most of the things you list get their power from the #24 fuse under the dash. But if that were blown, I'd expect a lot more than what you report to be non-functional.

Have you *pulled* all the fuses to see if there's one blown? Or did you just look at them while they were installed?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hey Tegger, thanks for your reply. I checked half of them by ripping them out, and then checked the other half using a flashlight to see if the middle section was missing, which shows that it is blow. The thing is I am missing the fuse box diagram that says what is what. I cannot seem to find a picture of one on the internet.

"I'd expect a lot more than what you report to be non-functional." I am not sure, but yes there might be other things that are not working that I have not noticed, its just a shock how one fuse could control all of those parts. They are all the major parts of the inside of the car. If I were to drive 100 miles, it would not even show that on the mileage gauge. I would think it would even with a blown fuse.

Thanks again

Reply to
mopa

Tegger,

I took out all of the fuses, and still nothing. None of the fuses are burnt out, but when I turn on the emergency lights, the blinkers do blink, but they will not do so if I turn on the signals, and I have no idea how fast I am going, what time it is, how many miles I have driven, or any of those things. The clock light is off, but if I press it in, the clock shows, until I release. What do you think it might be? the entire dash might need replacing?

I am thinking about just buying a newer car. Maybe a 1997/1999 Accord that is 4 cyl.

Reply to
mopa

"mopa" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Waaait a minute... The turn signals, dash lights and headlights are controlled by the same stalk on the steering column.

Wonder if your combination switch has gone bad.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hey Tegger,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, but for some reason I can turn the switch and the headlights come on, but the turning signal does not. What seems odd to me is why if I turn the emergency lights on, they blink? but if I press down or up on the stick the blinkers will not go on.

The best way to say it is nothing on the dash works, but the lights. At least if my odometer worked then i could figure how much gas I have. I get 300 miles per tank, and then I would have some idea. The odometer must run off some type of power. I would think it would just roll even if someone was blown, but it does not, not even the trip mileage.

I have to drive with my hand out the window, so people know I am turning. Maybe the entire dash is broken? it just seems odd. The car other than that is perfect, runs perfect, everything has been maintained, but I need something to drive. My mechanic looked, and said he would have to rip out the dash before he could figure something out. I removed all the fuses like you said, and all of them are fine.

Thanks again

Reply to
mopa

Sounds like there's no power to the dash. Possibly ignition switch fault?

Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Hello to you all...I have been a faithfull lurker of this group for the past 6 or 7 months and can not tell you how many times your hints and ideas have helped me out. John, I drive a 1990 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si Mannual with 240,000 miles on it and I had the same problem with it that you are having..... the solution was my back-up light switch located near the gear shift. I don't know if this helps but once it was repaired everything on my dash cluster was fine. Paula

Reply to
Paula Berry

Hello Paula, Thanks for your reply. Wow, a back-up light switch could make the entire dash cluster not work? That sure is something how one part can cause an entire thing not to work. How much did it cost to get it fixed?

The entire dash is out, but the headlights do work. There is no Turning Signals, Miles, Trips, Temp, or Gas gauge that works. The entire thing is out, what is even weird is that the clock does not work either. Now, if I press in the clock it will light up, but I can only guess there is one very powerful part that is not working, and that is causing a huge section of the car not to work.

So I can turn I have to have my hands out the window, what makes it even worst two days ago it was raining, and I had to drive with the window open.

Thanks again

Reply to
mopa

John, I looked at my repair invoice and it says, " short in wires, number 3 fuse blowing, reverse switch shorted out". Total cost around $56 including labor. All your problems were my problems in addition I had no back-up lights,but I did have head lights. I tried to gauge my speed to the traffic around me, but since

80% of my driving is done on a 65 mile speed limit 4 lane highway I'm willing to bet I was going alot faster than that! I used to pray that nobody would be at an intersection when I needed to turn,or would think that this 52 year old woman was going senile and didn't know how to use her turn signals... Paula
Reply to
Paula Berry

Did you actually TEST the fuses, or just look at them? A fuse COULD be bad but not appear actually blown. Good way to test fuses for actual function is with a test light or multimeter: connect the ground lead to a good ground, then test both sides of each fuse (with ignition switch on to ensure ACC and IGN power as well). If you get power on one side of a fuse and not on the other, the fuse is bad.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Paula, I will need to check into that. I also drive in a busy city, here in Atlanta we have 7 lanes in some places, and the traffic here is living hell. I do the same thing, pray that no one is going to be near, so I can turn, but I hate it when people don't use turning singles, yet here I am doing the same thing with my lights burnt out.

I did not check my backup lights, but it may also be the same thing.

Did they replace your dash Paula? or just wires, and a fuse?

Thanks! Johnny

Reply to
mopa