Empty tank of gas or full tank of gas?

Dear posters. If you are leaving the country and will leave your car behind undriven for a long time, do you keep an empty tank of gas or full tank of gas, I know it's one or the other but I forgot.

Reply to
Hallow Man

I was always told full. Empty allows for condensation (water) to form in the tank.

Reply to
Seth

Be sure to add a gasoline stabilizer (available where fuel additives are sold) and disconnect the battery. Modern cars have electronics that draw a few tens of milliamps and will drain the battery in a month or so.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

How long? What are the storage conditions?

A full tank results in less moisture condensation, but gasoline has a definate shelf life and will turn to a horrible smelling, goo making varnish jelly over time.

With stabilizer (like Sta-bil) you are probably ok for 1-2 years if stored indoors in a dry environment with a full tank of gas.

If you are only talking about a month or two, then fill 'er up and park 'er.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Full!

Also, always use Sta-Bil in it. I do it to motorcycles even in the winter.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man