Engine Failing Randomly on '90 Civic

I知 having an unusual problem on my 1990 Civic DL. It has 125,000 miles on it, is well-maintained, and starts easily and runs smooth. However, on occasion the engine, without any sputtering or jerkiness,
simply stops. No warning; in fact, quite often the only way I know its happened during the first few moments is because the engine light goes on. There is no pattern or rhythm to this problem yet, and it has happened during both highway and in-town driving. Usually what I値l do is to press in the clutch, turn off the ignition, turn the ignition back on, release the clutch, and the engine comes right back to life. If I知 going too slow to do that I値l usually pull over to the side of the road, turn the ignition off, wait maybe a minute, and the engine will start right back up again. A week in the dealer痴 shop (they seem as puzzled as I am) brought a new distributor cap and coil to replace visibly corroded ones, but that didn稚 solve this problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Wester
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
"W.Wuori" wrote:

===================== It's not at all unusual for your car. Replace the ignition switch. Honda recalled about a billion of them, but your year wasn't included :-(
'Curly'

My first thought, too. However, this is also a sign of a failing igniter...
--
TeGGeRョ

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ