Engine hard to start, when up runs ok, rough idling and stalls

Honda Accord 1992 2.2l.

The car worked flawlessly until yesterday when I came back from one month vacation. The car started up with no problem at all. It ran for another 5 kms or so. After I parked (in deep snow), shut off the engine and another 30 minutes the troubles began.

Since then the car was difficult to start. When started up I had to keep pressing gas pedal to keep it running. From 1500RMP up, the engine didn't experience any troubles at all - responsive, full power, no choking, all ok. Bellow 1500RPM it quickly got worse - the idling was rough, unresponsive to the gas pedal and was hard to keep up. After an hour of trying to start up the car it got to the point when it wouldn't start at all.

Other observations

  • No strange sounds when starting up, except - 2-3 dull sounds/clicks during the ignition process (fuel lines, intake?)
  • The car was sitting for 1 month with almost empty gas tank (clogged fuel system?)
  • The symptoms worsen quickly in half an hour
Reply to
hynek.cihlar

hynek.cihlar

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d306f3ee-4572-4947-b0af- snipped-for-privacy@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

bad plug wires? maybe it needs new wires,plugs,distributor cap/rotor,and some dry gas/injector cleaner in the gas tank.(for the next 2-3 fillups) a new fuel filter,too.

heck,maybe a mouse made a nest in your air intake.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What's really puzzling to me is that the engine would run great over

1500RPM - but > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d306f3ee-4572-4947-b0af-
Reply to
hynek.cihlar

--------------------------

Fill the gas tank with fuel that has some ethanol in it. Make sure the coolant reservoir is full to the MAX mark. My CR-V gave multiple misfires after a long winter storage. If it goes OK on highway DON'T replace the fuel filter. It's not necessary.

Is there a possibility of sabotage?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Do what I used to do with an old Ford. Get a shop light with a 40 watt bulb minimum , turn on and put it under the hood until everything is dry.. Then try and start. Your mechanic checked the car in semi darkness and saw the sparks from the plug wires no doubt.

Reply to
JRL

JRL wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And that's NOT kosher. Considering the age of your car,the plug wires are probably breaking down. I'd surely check the rest of the ignition system while you're at it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

In Honda of 3rd (with EFI) and 4th generations, hard statring and poor throttle response at low rpms is most likely ignition problems Give her a tune-up, new plugs, new wires, new dist cap & rotor, and even a new igntion coil

Reply to
bi241