Engine light

I have an '02 S2000, and the check engine light came on last week. It runs ok, and nothing noticeable is wrong. What is (are) the causes? I set up an appt at the local Honda dealership (Shearer Honda, Rutland,
VT) to see what's happening. Any thoughts?
Thanks, John DeCicco
Add pictures here
âś–

Take it to AutoZone and get the code read (for free!).
The MIL illumination means the engine's computer has detected a malfunction of some kind in the engine controls. Your computer will have stored one or more numeric codes (such as "P0300", "P0457" etc.). The codes(s) tell us what the computer saw (or what it thinks it saw).
Report the code back here. Many of these are common problems and there are a number of posters here who can give you some answers.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
don't go to dealer
don't go to dealer
don't go to dealer
post back here
TeGGeR® wrote:

Add pictures here
âś–
Just replace the gas cap and your problem should cease. It's a cheap enough repair. If not that then go to the dealer.

âś–
okay here it is...You should find out what the code is...but have whoever does it clear the code. you said it drove fine....that's good. Alot of the vehicles on the road are set up to have the check engine light come on at a certain milage even though nothing is truely wrong. unsuspecting people take it to the dealer and get their wallet reamed for some serious money....the industry is set up to make money like any other industry. An honest technician will clear the code and drive it . if it does not come back on it is what we call a false code.....no problems. let me know.....mac1833
Add pictures here
âś–
JD wrote:

Autozone is usually very good for checking error codes so hopefully you may be driving near one to stop. If not, call around to other auto parts stores in your area. The one by me in Brookfield Ct even gives you the printout. Three years ago my check engine light on my '99 Accord came on and tightening & replacing the gas cap didn't solve it. It was a catalytic converted low threshold error.
I was shocked when the Honda dealer told me it would be about $800 or the cat alone plus a couple hours labor! It was one of the shortest cats I had seen and in the best possible location to work on. I searched and found an after-market cat from Summitracing.com for about $140. It took 40 minutes to replace it.
Last year the light came on again and it was an emissions vacuum canister. I didn't have time to do it myself so it cost me $190 at the dealer.
Good luck!
Add pictures here
âś–
Sorry, been away for a while. Turns out it was a loose gas cap. My wife (or young one) didn't tighten it fully at the last refuel.
Phew! John
G wrote:

Add pictures here
âś–

Then the error code was P0457. This is why we need the error code itself in order to make any sort of prognostication at all.