Engine Oil

I have been using 10 W 40 engine oil for my car. I had asked a car mechanics for this. I looked up

today. One of the post there suggests 5W/30 for car engine. I wonder what other accord owners using?

Reply to
suyashsen
10W40 has not been recommended for cars for many years due to the waxes used to extend it to 40. What year car? You should be using that recommended in the owners manual and listed in stickers under the hood. The only reason to user higher viscosity is in a worn out engine to slow down consumption.
Reply to
Woody

The better question is what does the manufacturer recommend?

Reply to
Piso Mojado

"Piso Mojado" wrote in news:OrOdnfhcXvQal3XanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Why the hell does that matter?

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If I can't get that, I use rendered Grizzly Bear fat. They both work just tickety-boo.

Reply to
Tegger

c'mon dude - he was just suckered into responding to spam.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:f7ydnQEYzOa_

9nXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

I was backing him up with an attempt at a barbed response. My humor failed, apparently.

Reply to
Tegger

Uh huh, that'll work too.

One time back during the war-- there we were on extended patrol and we had to change the oil in a deuce-and-a-half.

So we killed two water buffalo, rendered the fat out, cut it with 2 quarts of officer's urine and blended in a six pack of Bud. Man, that baby purred all the way back to the base...

Reply to
Piso Mojado

"Piso Mojado" wrote in news:NoydnWJ1oq1nq3TanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Do you get better mileage from officer's urine than from enlisted men's urine?

Reply to
Tegger

why not render the officers and use buffalo urine?

Reply to
jim beam

You owe me a frickin' keyboard!!!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Actually we had considered that-- but the consensus was it's easier to scare the piss out of an officer than a buff....

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Use what your manual suggests. They took a fair amount of time writing it, it seems only logical that you give a little time to reading it.

I use 5w/20 in mine, as that is what is recommended...

Reply to
Joe

The oil cap on my Honda says 710. I interpret this to mean I need to use 7W-10 but I an unable to find this weight.

They carry it at Walmart. But you have to turn the bottle upside down to find it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news:WrVGj.9148$Oj5.3625@trnddc06:

Take the cap off first. That helps.

Reply to
Tegger

...and it ain't even psycho Wednesday...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Took me a while, but I just got it.

That's pretty good...."7IO"....lol!

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

i understand that it's common in Australia.

Yeah, but now it's Studebaker Saturday! Hooray! :)

Reply to
ah

As a matter of fact, I ran my '55 Prez today...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire