Engine Oil

I have been using 10 W 40 engine oil for my car. I had asked a car mechanics for this. I looked up www.hotaccord.org today. One of the post there suggests 5W/30 for car engine. I wonder what other accord
owners using?
10W40 has not been recommended for cars for many years due to the waxes used to extend it to 40. What year car? You should be using that recommended in the owners manual and listed in stickers under the hood. The only reason to user higher viscosity is in a worn out engine to slow down consumption.

The better question is what does the manufacturer recommend?

Why the hell does that matter?
I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If I can't get that, I use rendered Grizzly Bear fat. They both work just tickety-boo.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

c'mon dude - he was just suckered into responding to spam.

I was backing him up with an attempt at a barbed response. My humor failed, apparently.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Uh huh, that'll work too.
One time back during the war-- there we were on extended patrol and we had to change the oil in a deuce-and-a-half.
So we killed two water buffalo, rendered the fat out, cut it with 2 quarts of officer's urine and blended in a six pack of Bud. Man, that baby purred all the way back to the base...

Do you get better mileage from officer's urine than from enlisted men's urine?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Piso Mojado wrote:

why not render the officers and use buffalo urine?

Actually we had considered that-- but the consensus was it's easier to scare the piss out of an officer than a buff....
Tegger wrote:

You owe me a frickin' keyboard!!!
<G>
JT

The oil cap on my Honda says 710. I interpret this to mean I need to use 7W-10 but I an unable to find this weight.
z wrote:

They carry it at Walmart. But you have to turn the bottle upside down to find it.
Jeff

Take the cap off first. That helps.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

...and it ain't even psycho Wednesday...
JT

Yeah, but now it's Studebaker Saturday! Hooray! :)
ah wrote:

As a matter of fact, I ran my '55 Prez today...
JT

Took me a while, but I just got it.
That's pretty good...."7IO"....lol!
Peace, Polfus

i understand that it's common in Australia.

Use what your manual suggests. They took a fair amount of time writing it, it seems only logical that you give a little time to reading it.
I use 5w/20 in mine, as that is what is recommended...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com