engine overheated, check engine light is on

Hi,
The radiator recently cracked on my 98 civic as a result of which the engine was overheating -- the engine temperature gauge was past the red line, which i onyl noticed once steam started comming out of the
hood.
I took it to the mechanic, and he replaced the radiator and said there didn't appear to be a problem with the engine as a result of it over heating.
so i drove the car for a day, and then all of a sudden the check engine light came on (the temperature of the engine with the new radiator is fine though according to the gauge ).
Anyone have an idea what could be wrong with the engine?
Is it safe to drive?
I'll get the car fixed, but since i'm handing it down to my brother after i get a new car in four-five months, i don't want any expensive repairs. Might there be a cheaper repair to whatever the mechanic is likely to suggest?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

---------------------------------
Fill the rad to the top and the reservoir to the MAX mark, per the owner's manual. You should not drive it until you get the cooling system in shape, since the reservoir level may drop as air is purged (automatically) as you drive the first couple days. You may have just left your gas cap loose, but if not, then get the codes read too.
'Curly'
First read the owner manual about CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Second, Get the code read, you don't know what you have until you read the code. (The light would be better if it said, Please get code read).
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

need code.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

What did you find when you checked the oil? How about any oil in the radiator fluid?
I would definitely find out what codes were being in the computer. The code might have nothing to do with the overheating.

Would you want expensive repairs if you weren't handing it off to your brother?

Not drive it for four or five months.
It would help if we know what the mechanic was going to suggest.
Jeff