engine pinging sound - 97 Accord 165K

My car has been running quite well for a while. However recently during a road trip in Vegas, my engine is pinging when I accelerate. I had a full tuneup about 10K ago and an oil change about 2K ago. I thought it was bad gas (I always use 87) and have been filling up with Chevron lately, but I filled up (from close to an empty tank) at another station and the pinging isn't gone. Does anyone know what can cause engine pinging and what can be done? Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

------------------------

Define 'full tune-up'. Has the timing belt been changed yet? Have you ever adjusted the valves? Bosch plugs by chance?

'Curly

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Make sure you have exactly the brand and model of spark plugs listed in the manual. There are a lot of crappy plugs out there, regardless of cost, that will crack or foul up in 10K miles. Carbon builds up in them and then catches fire every time you run the engine hard.

If that fails, have the tune-up work inspected. The only tuning is the valve clearance. The rest is replacement of worn parts and old fluids.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

As Curly says, a lot depends on what was done at the tuneup. The most likely culprits are that the ignition timing was set too far advanced ( a couple degrees would do it) or the spark plugs were replaced with a set that are too "hot." Plugs in the wrong heat range can ignite the charge before the spark fires if the engine is pushed hard.

Don't ignore this - "pinging" does serious damage if allowed to continue.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee