Every Gear Acts Like Neutral

Page 1 of 2
My wife recently purchased an automatic 2001 Honda Civic. We took it to a supposedly very reputable mechanic to check it out during the 30 day trial period. They found nothing wrong. Now it has just stopped
working. Whatever gear we put it into, it acts like it is neutral. Put our foot down on the accelerator and it whines but doesn't move. It seems like the engine is not engaging.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Peter.
Suggest you take it back to the very reputable mechanic....
PeterOut wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:13:39 -0800 (PST), PeterOut

Is the shift linkage really doing anything?

I don't understand the question. Changing between R, N, D, D2, etc. does not make any difference.
Thanks, Peter.
PeterOut wrote:

Bob is suggesting that the shift lever is disconnected from the transmission.
_Is_ every gear neutral? Perhaps you are still in Park. Can you push the car by hand with the parking brake off?
--
Chuck

I just tried the car out again. Park is not neutral. It acts as I would expect "park" to act. It is the only setting that does not act as neutral.
Thanks, Peter.
PeterOut wrote:

How does the car act differently between park and the other gears?
The only difference between park and neutral is that there is a mechanism that prevents the drive shafts from turning.
However, this does indicate that the shift lever is connected to the transmission.
Jeff

I guess that's not good. Seems like a problem with the transmission.
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:13:39 -0800, PeterOut wrote:

Instead of reputable mechanic, how about you find a competent mechanic?

I guess it's too bad we didn't see this before we bought it :( http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml
PeterOut wrote:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml
This tells you no more about your specific problem than you now know.
however, a common theme in these complaints is 'went to change back to Honda trannie fluid'.
Always run honda trannie fluid in your honda. Or deal with shit like this (more often).
News wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:35:32 -0800 (PST), PeterOut

Not sure exactly what is the common failure this might refer to.
But, Honda has had problems with their autos for many years, replaced many on six-cylinder cars in and out of warranty. My old Acura tranny never really worked right, and I suspect that was very common, but since the car still moved, most people (like me) just lived with it.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there is a much lower statistical failure of the same tranny technology on lower horsepower cars, and it's probably still very rare into the 100k mile range, but it might be just what you've got. The next question would be whether the seller knew about it ... but who can say?
J.
PeterOut wrote:

If it is still in the 30-day trial period, hire a tow truck and take it back.
Jeff

Unfortunately it is not. We thought we were covering our bases by taking it to a supposedly reputable mechanic during that period. They found no problems. Perhaps the next step should be a class action suit but I am not sure how successful that will be since it was far from being a new car.
PeterOut wrote:

And you don't know what the problem is.
PeterOut wrote:

Lotsa luck with a class action suit. You're reading too many newspapers or comic books. Learn what is wrong with the car before you start mapping a brilliant legal strategy. The first (and likely the LAST) question you need to answer is "What warranty, if any, did you get with the car?" If your answer is "Uh, well, the bill of sale says "No Warranty, express or implied. Vehicle sold "As-Is"" you are, as they say in the legal biz: SCREWED!
With no warranty, you have little recourse against the seller. He has no duty to repair it and you'll find it very difficult to show that he defrauded you when you already took the opportunity to check it out with your own mechanic beforehand.
Hell, we don't even know HOW long it's been since you bought the car, "recently" being a relative term. Nor do we know how many miles was on the car and is on the car now.
You haven't bothered to let us know of any symptoms which may have been observed before the fatal "everything is neutral."
I suspect, like others, that the linkage PROBABLY is connected but from your poor description of the circumstance, it's possible that you don't know what you're talking about when you say PARK works normally. Does PARK just lock the ignition and steering wheel or does it actually engage the parking pawl in the transmission? i.e., when it's in park, can you push the car? When the car is rolling VERY slowly (you push, wife works the shift) and you put it in PARK is there a grabbing and quick stop of the car? If there isn't, it's not going into PARK and the linkage is again suspect. Even if the interlock works in PARK, I "think" there may be a possibility that the interlock could work WITHOUT the linkage to the transmission still being connected and/or properly adjusted.
Bottom line: Everyone, especially yourself, needs to have more information before you get beyond having a car that doesn't move.

Thank you for your reply. We bought just over a month ago. It had 92839 miles when we bought it and we have since put about 500 miles on it, 275 since it was checked by a mechanic. When my wife drove it yesterday, it was slow getting into gear and then it revved up a bit when it was in gear. When my son drove it today, it gradually got progressively worse but somehow he managed to get home in it. However, when I tried it the gears did not appear to engage at all. The only gear that did not act like neutral was Park. The car was on a slight downward incline and rolled with every setting expect park. When I put it into park, it stopped rolling. My son and I can each bench-press 200 pounds but we were not able to push it up the slight incline when it was in Park with the brake off.
PeterOut wrote:

Linkage to the transaxle apparently AOK. Get it to a reputable (if you can find one) transmission shop. Also check at a Honda dealer and see what they will charge you.
I had a transmission go out on a Buick and the dealership was able to replace it with a completely remanufactured GM Goodwrench transmission for less $$ than having it rebuilt by one of the chains or independents. The best part of it was that they warranty on the on the Goodwrench tranny was longer than the warranty on the original driveline. (either 50K miles or 60K miles - go figure)
Who knows? Honda may offer something similar. Won't hurt to check.
And the warranty I asked about and you didn't respond to? That's kinda what I thought.

Yes. We didn't get the warranty which was $1500. We took out a warranty on a Ford Raurus we bought second hand and never had any problems.
Thanks, Peter.