Every Gear Acts Like Neutral

Page 2 of 2
PeterOut wrote:

Hate to be the one to inject a bit of reason in all this :) but this sounds quite familiar to what happened when the transmission hydraulic pump went in a friend's '93 Protege. New pump was about $100... replacement was done by a mechanic buddy in his back yard for a case of beer, and it was good to go.
Obviously, there's no way to know for sure what's wrong with your car, but it may be something simple (and relatively inexpensive) like this. Before getting too worked up about things, have a COMPETENT transmission shop take a look at it.
As others have noted, there likely is nobody to blame for this - it's the kind of thing that can "just happen" on a car of that age, especially if the previous owner didn't maintain it well. There's just no way to tell.
| PeterOut wrote: | | >> If it is still in the 30-day trial period, hire a tow truck and take it | >> back. | >> | >> Jeff | > | > Unfortunately it is not. We thought we were covering our bases by | > taking it to a supposedly reputable mechanic during that period. They | > found no problems. Perhaps the next step should be a class action | > suit but I am not sure how successful that will be since it was far | > from being a new car. | | | Lotsa luck with a class action suit. You're reading too many newspapers | or comic books. Learn what is wrong with the car before you start | mapping a brilliant legal strategy. The first (and likely the LAST) | question you need to answer is "What warranty, if any, did you get with | the car?" If your answer is "Uh, well, the bill of sale says "No | Warranty, express or implied. Vehicle sold "As-Is"" you are, as they | say in the legal biz: SCREWED!
This is sounding like a linkage problem but obviously we cannot accurately diagnosis the problem via cyberspace... and predicting future failure is not much different from reading tea leaves without tearing everything apart. I also don't know how a class could be certified in this case but there still may be legal recourse depending upon where the OP lives. This as some states have their own laws regarding used automobiles ("Lemon Laws"). NY has a used car warranty law that goes up to 90 days and 4,000 miles contingent upon selling price and odometer reading. For the OP it might be worth exploring this issue with State Attorney General's office if the dealer's position is contrary to state law.
For example http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/cars/usedqa.html
John

A) If the problem is inside the transmission, unless you were willing to pay for a tear down, there wasn't much he/she could do to see if this was going to happen.
B) What class action? Are thousands of people affected by this 1 mechanic not predicting a future issue with a 6 year old used car? Or do you mean against Honda who sold this car 6 years ago and weren't the ones responsible for maintaining it?
Shit happens. That's the bottom line. Hopefully it is something minor link the linkage.

It was a Honda purchased from a Honda dealer.

That doesn't mean they did all the maintenance nor that the owner reported every issue they ever had with it.
You bought a used car. Shit happens.
Good luck with your class action...
All our used cars with less than 100,000 have a limited warrenty, and it you had bought it from us there would be scrambling to get it repaired. Check with the dealership. Raise a fuss, perhaps the will step up.. Steve

Check the transmission fluid. If the fluid level gets low enough, you won't get any output from the torque converter.

Thanks. I checked the transmission fluid. Is was clean and in the normal range.
Thanks, Peter.

I just read through this thread. What a lot of usless garbage.
Evidently nobody though to check for known problems with this model. There is one. It is exactly what you're experiencing.
Your dealer has a copy of TSB 04-036, which covers this problem in ALL '01 Civics. The problem is excessive wear in the 2nd clutch. The cure is to replace the transmission with one which has an upgraded 2nd clutch assembly.
Even if you're out of the normal warranty, this particular problem is eligible for "goodwill" warranty coverage. The dealer must get approval from Honda for this.
Visit your local Honda dealer. If this car still has its original tranny, you may be in luck.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Odd... the only thing I found on the web that actually had a definition for this TSB (almost every hit I got described the symptoms, but not the actual problem) suggested it was a blown hydraulic pump... which is what I suggested in the first place.
Well either way, it's a job for a good shop or dealership...

.
Unless this is a situation unique to the OP's car, it is not a blown pump.
The actual TSB document may be found here: http://search.ebscohost.com / Login with username lib and password access Choose Auto Repair Reference Center from menu at left. Navigate to the OP's car.
I keep posting that link, but nobody but me ever looks stuff up there.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

but they sure do complain if they don't like the advice they get [and are not paying for]!

My advice is worth every penny. ;^)
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

And I apologize for not thanking you earlier for that great link (and credentials<g>)

The ones I love (Not!) are the clueless who ask a question and then tell the poster that they're wrong. Plonk!

Don't sell yourself short. Sound advice is a rarity.

Or the idiots who come here, ask a question, get answered, then just disappear, never giving any sort of followup.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger
http://search.ebscohost.com /
I tried to log in to the site with lib, access. didnt work. Made my own account.
Could not find Auto Repair Reference Center.
Is that the correct site?
Gene Wagenbreth wrote:

It is, and they do. I just logged in. It's still working.
The auto repair reference center is on the left side of the page once you're in. It'll bite you if you don't watch out!<g>

Sure is.
Just copied and pasted what you have above and it works swimmingly.
What's your browser's security setup? What browser?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

I did find another copy of the actual TSB - you were correct, it's for the second clutch. Someone needs to make a search engine that'll actually give me what I WANT, not what I ask for.

That reminds me of a computer operating system called DWIM.
Do What I Meant
--
Bearman

Occasionally proud but always happy to be an American.