Exhaust Question

About 3 years ago I replaced the muffler on my 98 Civic with a Honda muffler I ordered from somebody in cyberspace. . Because it looked simple, I just did it without the aid of a Haynes or Chiltons or whatever. Apparently, there is an easy way and at least one really difficult way to do it.

It now sounds like there is a problem further up the line and its about

20 degrees outside now.

Are the muffler chains going to do a hatchet job on it using inferior pipes of their own creative, fanciful design?

Is this the kind of job a local mechanic would rather not get?

Reply to
ecarecar

Whatever you decide to do, do NOT take it to places like Midas or Meineke. They will use some of the worse parts on your car. Exhaust systems are not a fun job to do but I couldn't see why a local shop wouldn't do the work on it. Just make sure to use Honda OEM parts.

Reply to
nick

ecarecar wrote in news:MqmdnV-O0M4jtB3anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

It's really too bad you did it the way you did. New OEM mufflers come with a lifetime warranty when installed by the dealer. You'd be able to get them to fix this at no charge to you.

What exactly is the "problem further up the line"?

Reply to
Tegger

Why not take it to a Honda dealer or two, some local shops and places like Midas and Mienke. Some of the locations are pretty good.

Then go from there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Because places like Midas and Meineke use cheap parts which rot after a year or two of use.

Reply to
nick

They also have a lifetime warranty. My brother has used these services without any problems (I never needed to replace my exhaust).

For 1998 Contour, it probably won't make any difference. And you're covered if it does.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Unless they changed their warranty at Midas and such, it only covers the part not labor, so you still will get dinged in the end.

Reply to
nick