extended warranty-Does it worth it?

Hi everyone, please educate me.

I bought my 1st car, Honda Civic 2005 about 6 weeks ago. The salesperson offered the deal included the pruchase that I would get an extended warranty of 7rs/100,000 miles, from the date I bought my car. This car had 797 miles on it.

2 weeks later, I received a "Honda Care" warranty card and contract, stated that I paid for this warranty :$1,595.00.

I was shock, as I thought this extended warranty was included into the purchase price.

My question are:

1/ Is that way too expensive? Any Honda dealers offering the same warranty at the cheaper price? And should I buy it from a Honda local dealer or just go online, such as curryhondacare.com, to buy it?

2/ Does the extended warranty really work, if that was the case? Because I heard Honda manufactured very reliable, durable cars. So someone educated me that the extended warranty is just another profitable cow for dealers making money.

3/ So should I drop the extended warranty and go back to manufacturer warranty which is 3yrs/36,000 miles and get my money back?

4/ How much the refund I can get? Here is my situation: I used Honda care for towing my car to the nearest Honda dealer service center to some jobs needed to be done. So if I decided to switch to manufactuer warranty of 3yrs/36,000miles, I would get FULL refund? Or $1,595.00 subtracted the amount that I had used?

I have 2 weeks left to decide, based on the "60 days cancelation, no obligations"

So please help. Thank you very much

TA

Reply to
TA via CarKB.com

Thanks, bearman.

I definitely want to cancel the extended warranty then shop around to get the best price of Honda Care extended warranty. Now I have another question: should I buy right now, when my car having less than 5,000 miles on it or wait until it hit abount 35,000 miles?

Well, I had no experience >> My question are:

Reply to
TA via CarKB.com

I'm not sure you can wait that long. Ask your dealer or anyone else that sells the warranties. Check on the Internet too. And remember: you're not really buying a 7-year, 100,000-mile warranty. You're buying a 4-year, 64,000-mile extension to Honda's normal warranty.

Reply to
bearman

Reply to
Theodore Kaplan

I think you can cancel within 30 to 60 days and get a refund. Do it. An 8 year 120k mile warranty should be around a grand.

Reply to
Art

Honda has a rule that if the car has 6000 miles on it you get a crappier extended warranty so don't wait that long.

Reply to
Art

Hi, Kaplan:

I had the similar experience as you had. I got a quote of $1,600.00 less then he gave me the "best price" with 7rs/100,000 miles warrant package and I forgot to ask how much did this extended warranty cost. I thought it was included in the pruchase of my car. Then.... yu knew the rest of this story.

Thanks, I will check H>I had a similar experience. After having gotten a quote for about 1500

Reply to
TA via CarKB.com

Art, I just did my homework.

Just check out the web site

for extended warranty

7yrs/100,000 miles is $845.00 (D70 Plan) and Zero deductible or 8yrs/120K miles, and Zero deductible for $1,025.00 (D82)

Art, is this a good place to shop?

Or at

$969.00 (D70) or $1,149.00 (D82). This web site offered 10% initial payment and the rest of its contract would be pay in

12 months, with 0% APR.

Art wrote:

Reply to
TA via CarKB.com

I took the best offer I could find from the internet (probablyt Jay Honda) and brought it to the dealer. They got within $40 and I bought from the dealer.

Reply to
Art

I couldn't remember the name of the site. JayHonda is the one where I got the best deal on the extended warranty.

Reply to
Theodore Kaplan

When I bought my '03 Civic Hybrid, my price of the car included the 7 years/100k miles extended warranty from Honda Care. The paperwork said the price was suppose to be around $1582. I wanted it because it was the first time I ever bought a Hybrid car and I wasn't sure how the battery would hold up after 3 years. It turned out that the IMA battery didn't give trouble at all after 3+ years and 90k miles later. I had to change the CVT transmission and soon I have to check the SRS air bag sensor.

So the question was asked, was it worth the peace of mind? Absolutely!

-RA

Reply to
radix33

RA: I absolutely agree.

However, for the same extended warranty at another Honda dealer, the price itself is about 40% cheaper. So my decision would be : I will purchase the extended warranty for the peace of mind at the cheaper price. Hey, thanks RA.

How many mileages that your hybrid can strech out per gallon? I heard many hybrid owners informed me that it is about 41MPG, not over 60MPG as it 's supposed to be.

What caused your CVT transmission? If you dont mind to share your experiences?

TA

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TA via CarKB.com