exterior care?

Just bought a Honda Civic and I am surprised not to find any information in the owner's manual about caring for the exterior.

I know that any good quality wash and wax will do the job (well, I assume so, anyway). But my question is:

I recall with previous new cars (Nissan) that they said NOT to wax it for x amount of time. Not sure why, and maybe my memory is failing me, maybe they didn't say that. But does anyone know?

Is it good to wax your new Honda right away, or should you wait x amount of time, or ?

Also any suggestions as to type of wash and wax - maybe from previous owner's manuals? - would be welcome. Thanks.

p.s. No, I did not pay extra for the clear coat or whatever sealant paint protection.

Reply to
A.Nonimus

Did you get a second booklet, titled "Honda Care - Warranty and Maintenance Guide"? Have a look in there, some basic info on wash and wax.

Regarding waxing a brand new car, if the date of manufacture is very recent, I'd hang off waxing for at least 3 months. I think the idea is to let the paint cure. You can usually figure out manufacture date from date stamps on components.

I try to wax our cars spring and fall, sometimes I miss one. I use old fashioned Turtle Hard Shell liqud. Also, when washing I'll sometimes just run a wax damped cloth around the rear rims, which seem a rust- prone area. For washing I'm currently using Maguiars Nxt Gen Car Wash fwiw. Smells good.

I also did not get any extra sealant or undercoat with our recent purchase, do not think they are worthwhile. Sealant is just a glorified wax job, oh and were'nt we just talking about not waxing a brand new car. And the undercoat is worse than useless. Proper wax sealant may have some benefit, but iffy I think.

IMHO, one of the best things you can do is pry off the fender liners, mud flaps and similar everyonce in a while, and thoroougly hose out all the crap that *will* have accumulated. Check very carefully for rust specks. You can use any old anti-rust paint in there, say inside back fenders. Look at older cars of the same make: where are they rusting? Inside back wheel wells is one trouble spot.

The dealer really turn the pressure on, tho, LOL.

Reply to
Mendel Leisk

Thanks. Maybe I did. I stuck some other paperwork in the trunk that I thought was superfluous. It might be in there!

Thanks again. That's what I was thinking, that there was a period when you shouldn't wax it, in the beginning.

Reply to
A.Nonimus