Factory recommended service intervals

Just bought me a new V6 Accord sedan (EX-L trim line) -- very nice car!

The supplied MANFACTURER maintenance booklet does not list the MANUFACTURER-recommended time/mileage intervals for various services. However, there is a separate booklet with DEALER-recommended service intervals. I asked the dealer about that and he said there are no MFR recommended intervals, just ones from the DEALER.

My experience over the years with various brands of cars is that dealers generally recommend more frequent service intevals than the manufacturer does. No big surprise there since the dealer usually does the service.

So what's the deal? Has American Honda quit making service recommendations for their vehicles??

Reply to
Eye In The Sky

Can't imagine it. Are you sure the dealer didn't use a razor blade to cut the pages out?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Dunno - yesterday I was checking my daughter's '93 Accord fine manual for the timing belt change interval. It's 90K miles, but imagine my surprise to see it noted as "recommended only."

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My 06 Accord I4 coupe has recommended service based on the maintenance minder -- A or B service. That service is specified in terms of what is needed. Your owner's manual should have that information.

Reply to
tww1491

Hell, I still haven't found the officially specified timing belt change for either my '82 or '83 Civic though I'm convinced that it should be every 60K.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

you still get belts for that ok?

Reply to
jim beam

Sure do.

In fact, parts are incredibly cheap for the most part as I like to maintain a certain amount of "stock" for future usage. I just scored a set of new strut catridges on eBay for a mere $14.99...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Honda started specifying the 60K interval in the mid '80s but made it a retroactive recommendation for earlier models as well.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

That's because the '84-5 Civics used a new belt design than the earlier Civics and it was failing early. Honda later redesigned the belt and fixed the problem.

Eric

Reply to
Eric