FIT: 24,000 Mile Update

Just finished passing the 24,000 mile mark on the FIT. Bought it new at the end of April 2006. It's the base model, 5-MT. This is my first Honda and the first auto I've ever owned that had a service reminder setup that shows you what to do via the dashboard idiot lights. So, I've been doing the oil changes at 6,500 mile increments on average per the reminder. I've changed the oil filter and rotated the tires at the service mark as well.

This go around I needed to change out the pollen filter and the air filter as well. So, I did those two items as well and all is well. I noticed an imediate fresh smell from the A/C thanks to the new filter so that was a nice surprise.

The FIT continues to run fine. I'm averaging around 40mpg still on mostly 2-lane and 4-lane highways commuting to work. This was the reason I bought the thing to begin with and so far it has not disapointed. Next up are windshield wiper blades in the fall. I had intended to do that this summer but we're in drought here in the mid-Atlantic so no need at the moment -- they've hardly been on at all.

Reply to
Santos L. Halper

Nice to hear you're enjoying your new Honda! Any car should serve its owner well for a long time if it's properly maintained.

Reply to
Matt Ion

"Santos L. Halper" wrote

Kinda interesting. Next update, I'd be interested in the exact miles for each oil change since purchase, so I can see if there's much of a standard deviation. If not, it tends to back up reports I have read that changing the oil around every 7k miles is fine for ordinary driving. Thanks for posting today.

Reply to
Elle

I didn't keep the exact mileage but it was never less than 6,500 and never over 6,800 and that includes changes done in both winter and summer. My driving distance never really changed on a daily basis -- car was used for commuting. I did replace the oil filter at every change. This is funny in that I've read anecdotes from mechanics where they would do analysis on the "used" motor oil and discovered that they could re-use the supposed old oil for another 3k to 5k miles. There was this whole underground of mechanics reusing old oil in their own personal cars. Pretty funny.

But I've read the same info about oil lasting around 7k miles or so. I was one of those 3k/3 month people but I'm letting the car tell me what to do know. We shall seee....

Reply to
santos