flashing Req'd Maintenance indicator light

Right now I don't have access to my manual and my wife called me to say our 2003 Accord shows for a few seconds when starting, a flashing "Req'd Maintenance" indicator light and then it goes away. I'm thinking it's not serious but can anyone tell me what it is.... oil change? Car has about 33,500 miles on it (low miles). By the way, is this covered in the manual?

Thanks.

Reply to
honda guy

Is it covered in the manual? For once in your life, why don't you take a little personal responsibility and look in yours....

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

honda guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is indeed covered in detail in the Owner's Manual.

If the light flashes for ten seconds then goes away, then you're due for the next scheduled maintenance, which may or may not include an oil change.

With your low miles, you should be doing servicing (including oil changes) according to time (months), not mileage. The car probably is expecting you to perform the 60 or the 72-month service.

Reply to
Tegger

honda guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

it sounds like you are coming up on a oil change. when you get closer or pass the mileage interval(from the last oil change),the light will stay on. It should be in the owner's manual. After the oil/filter change,there's a RESET button under the driver's side kneepanel(below the steering wheel),probably recessed into the panel.

The "check engine" light (CEL)is the serious one.

you can probably find the owner's manual for your model online.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9BC3B67FC9AD9jyanikkuanet@74.209.136.85:

Actually, all the OP's flashing light means is that it's been (very) approximately 7,000 miles since the last time the light was turned off.

The computer that controls the light has no idea whether the oil was changed or if any other servicing was done. All it knows is how much mileage has passed since the last time the light was turned off by somebody.

I don't know the OP's history with this car, but he should be aware that it is possible for lazy/cheap/crooked used-car dealers (or previous owners) to simply reset the light without actually having done any servicing of any kind.

Sure can. Right here:

Tegger

Yes and yes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It comes on 8,000 miles into the 10,000 schedule. So for me it would blink for about two months. It can be turned off with the short- trip odometer button, but I forget how.

Reply to
rick++

"rick++" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

For 4-cylinder cars. For V6's it comes on sooner.

Reply to
Tegger