flashing Req'd Maintenance indicator light

Right now I don't have access to my manual and my wife called me to say our 2003 Accord shows for a few seconds when starting, a flashing "Req'd Maintenance" indicator light and then it goes away. I'm
thinking it's not serious but can anyone tell me what it is.... oil change? Car has about 33,500 miles on it (low miles). By the way, is this covered in the manual?
Thanks.
<honda guy> wrote in message

Is it covered in the manual? For once in your life, why don't you take a little personal responsibility and look in yours....
honda guy wrote in

It is indeed covered in detail in the Owner's Manual.
If the light flashes for ten seconds then goes away, then you're due for the next scheduled maintenance, which may or may not include an oil change.
With your low miles, you should be doing servicing (including oil changes) according to time (months), not mileage. The car probably is expecting you to perform the 60 or the 72-month service.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

It comes on 8,000 miles into the 10,000 schedule. So for me it would blink for about two months. It can be turned off with the short- trip odometer button, but I forget how.

For 4-cylinder cars. For V6's it comes on sooner.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
honda guy wrote in

it sounds like you are coming up on a oil change. when you get closer or pass the mileage interval(from the last oil change),the light will stay on. It should be in the owner's manual. After the oil/filter change,there's a RESET button under the driver's side kneepanel(below the steering wheel),probably recessed into the panel.
The "check engine" light (CEL)is the serious one.
you can probably find the owner's manual for your model online.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Actually, all the OP's flashing light means is that it's been (very) approximately 7,000 miles since the last time the light was turned off.
The computer that controls the light has no idea whether the oil was changed or if any other servicing was done. All it knows is how much mileage has passed since the last time the light was turned off by somebody.
I don't know the OP's history with this car, but he should be aware that it is possible for lazy/cheap/crooked used-car dealers (or previous owners) to simply reset the light without actually having done any servicing of any kind.

Sure can. Right here: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_OMANUAL.asp
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ