flickering background lights - 2000 Honda Accord EX

Driving a 2000 Honda Accord EX w/ about 90,000 miles.
I started having trouble a few months ago with my SRS light coming on and staying on. My mechanic re-set it once, but after a week or so it
came back on. We then had to replaced the SRS unit.
Ever since he replaced the SRS unit, the red SRS idiot light comes on for a few seconds to a few minutes every so often and then goes out. He checked everything and said it was nothing to worry about.
Then, about 2 weeks ago my background lights started flickering, along with my headlights. We immediately thought alternator, so we took it to the Honda dealer.
They did the 90,000 mile check and found nothing wrong with any of my systems. But they agreed the flickering background lights sounded like an alternator problem and for another $400 they'd be glad to replace it.
We took the back to our regular mechanic, who replaced the alternator (under a warrantee from the replacement of the alternator 2 years ago) for$70 (labor). This did not fix the flickering light problem??? We're scheduled to go back to our mechanic on 9/18 to have him check the electrical system.
Today, the red battery light kept coming on and going off (along with the red brake light, and all the door and trunk idiot lights). They finally stayed on. It seemed they would go off at stop lights and then come back on after the car started gaining speed. The fan was also blowing in time to the rhythm of the flicker (very strange)!
Book says it the alternator??
Anyone got ideas.
Sounds like a bad battery to me. Have you had it tested? Is it the original battery?
Steve
Sounds like he needs a new mechanic as well as a new battery. Also they need to check all the ground connections and learn how to read the codes in the different systems and stop throwing parts on a whim.....