flooded engine in 94/95 Honda Civic

Hi, I had been having some problems with my Honda Civic 1.5 LSI (94-95) [UK], for a couple of months now. The car would Hesitation/shaking when accelerated, in the morning. A
few times this has happened at nearly the same spot while driving to work (some 200m from home). Once, the car completely stopped (at that 200m spot), and will not immediately start. The ignition will work, but it won't catch and the car won't start. The car did start after some 15 mins rest. Last weekend, I couldn't start the car at all (in my driveway). Called the mechanic, when he came he immediately told me that it was a flooded engine. He told me that the early fuel injection engines (as in my 94 Honda), has a rain sensor which pumps more fuel when it rains. Recalling, it was on raininy days that I did have the problems.
My question is, since I never had these problems prior to two months ago (even in rain), do I have a defective sensor which needs replacing (as the car is getting older now). Or, as the mechanic pointed out, this is inherent in this car and I have to live with it.
Many Thanks in advance
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

==================================== He told you it's flooded. Read the owner's manual and see what Honda tells you about starting a flooded Honda (after it's been sitting overnight). A can of injector cleaner (or Gasohol) will often solve the 'fail to start' problem. Your other problem sounds a bit like a bad ignition switch or igniter overheating. Has the safety recall been applied to your car? http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf
'Curly'
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No they don't.

Trouble on rainy days, particularly when starting, is a classic symptom of bad ignition wires, or bad distributor cap, which in those vintage Hondas contain the ignition coil so a crack in that location can be particularly bad on a rainy day. The one time my 92 Honda absolutely refused to start, after a few weeks of giving sullen grumpy starts as a warning, was on a pouring rainy day, which proved to be a cracked distributor cap. Look at the wiring for deterioration, cracks, etc., also the distributor cap; if nothing, you might try first replacing the wiring, cause it's cheaper and does deteriorate with time, then the cap.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Now that's a bogus explanation if I ever heard one.

That's bogus too. Change the plug wires first. How old are they? Are the OEM?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Meaning it CRANKS. (why can't people use the right terms?)

won't RUN. whether it fires at all is not mentioned.

Definitely bulls__t;there's no need for extra fuel due to rain(H2O),just for more or less O2 as called for by the intake air temp sensor[IAT},and throttle position sensor[TPS].(and the O2 sensor after ~2min of warmup.)

Plug wires,coil/distributor cap & rotor.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

These are good items for the unofficial FAQ site, IMO.

Good idea.
Another one to add to my already lengthy to-do list...
To everybody who's sent me suggestions and photos, I haven't forgotten!